Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I've found one in fairly good condition and have been told that this is the place to go for information. I'm 6" 1" and ride an XC race hardtail that has a 21" seat tube and 23" top tube. This Schwinn frame has an 18" seat tube and a 21" top tube. I'm just wondering what these sizes equate to on a "normal" bike and whether I'll be comfortable riding it.
Many thanks, Rob

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Test ride it. If its comfortable to you, you're good.
It's not like you're putting down an epic all day-er on it.

Did Klunkers even come in sizes?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Did Klunkers even come in sizes?
Yeah, Kids;) and because of this you won't be apt to fit it the same as a modern geo mtn. bike. However just do what the er, boys, did back in the day and adapt via longer seat posts and stem/bar arrangements.

If you want a Klunker that mimics the measurements you perceive to be perfect for you get a copy made up by a custom builder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that guys. Shame I can't try it because it's just a frame. I don't suppose I'll be losing much should it not fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any idea what steerer tube fork size they will accept. The seller says the "whole" diameter of the headtube is 1" 7/16"???

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am 6' and fit fine, just a matter of adjusting what can be adjusted. Think of it this way, you probably ride a "large" and fit comfortably in the aero positioning of most modern bikes. If you ride aggressively(downhill, F/R, all mountain), you may move to a "medium" framed bike for the handling-giving up a little room to stretch out. Most "cruiser" frames would be considered "medium" frame sizing and may be a little cramped but otherwise workable. Try a longer stem than the original short stem and search for a layback seatpost and you should be reasonably comfortable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts