Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
meow
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're coming to the area this weekend to visit relatives and are bringing the bikes. Looking for help finding some good trails and routes to ride. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and if anyone's riding on Sat or Sunday and wouldn't mind us tagging along that would be sweet!

Thanks,
Cat

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try Santa Rosa Plateau off the 15 fwy and Clinton Keith rd or Vail lake is off hwy 79 south out of Temecula about 5 miles

·
Registered
321 Posts
sandmangts said:
Pay 5 bucks and go ride Vail Lake Resort. Trails are designed for bikes. There are jumps, berms and lots of rolling singletrack.

I was unaware they had jumps,berms, etc... I have been riding SRP every weekend for about 2 months. Vail Lake here I come.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Santa Rosa Plateau is fun.
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...72,-117.272036&spn=0.010713,0.028903&t=h&z=16
As you're heading there, on the left (across the street from avenida la cresta) there is a spot you can park for Washal trail. Its more twisty and technical than a lot of the trails on the right side of the road, if that's what you're looking for. But both sides are fun
here's a map of the trails
http://www.srpf.org/images/SantaRosaBrochure.pdf
A lot of it on the south end is no bikes, but you'll see the signs...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had no idea you could go ride at vail lake. I thought you had to be in an endurance race or just a part of an elite club of cools.
thanks for the tip sand!

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
sandmangts said:
Pay 5 bucks and go ride Vail Lake Resort. Trails are designed for bikes. There are jumps, berms and lots of rolling singletrack.

Where do you park once you get there?

I drove there last weekend to check it out and the guys in the booth were ignorant.
They gave me a Bicycling Magazine copied map that had no details or any info.

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
Most folks park in the Merlot campground; once you get past the office just keep going straight, up a little hill and you'll be in the right spot. Alternatively, follow the signs for the stables (right turn after the office) until the road turns to dirt; on the left is a restroom/pool complex with a big oak tree next to it, that is the start/finish for the 12 hours races.

·
meow
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks much for all the info everyone! We'll probably do the Vail Lake area as it's closest to where we're staying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there any single track trail map for Vail Lake. I have ridden there couple of times and always stay on the fire truck trails.

Much appreciate it.

FYI: The $5 is per head. Three of us paid $15 to pass the gate.

·
Registered
233 Posts
park near campsite 228/226 near the old gokart track. ride out from their. either up the fire road to your left all the way to the top and then descend or to your right, up in between the ridges and find the two main jump lines and such.

i ride there, vail lake, at least once a month and race there super d, whenever there is one. i like it and it is totally worth $5 and the drive from san diego.

·
Registered
8 Posts
rowdstar said:
park near campsite 228/226 near the old gokart track. ride out from their. either up the fire road to your left all the way to the top and then descend or to your right, up in between the ridges and find the two main jump lines and such.

i ride there, vail lake, at least once a month and race there super d, whenever there is one. i like it and it is totally worth $5 and the drive from san diego.
Thanks, I'll try that.

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
639 Posts
Can we see some more pics of this place. so far im not sure its worth the drive from SD

·
Registered
582 Posts
Vail Pics

Here are a few pics of vail. There is a new map of the trails at the front desk. Not the greatest map, but It'll get you by. You can also go by the www.socalendurance.com site and print off any of the maps from geoladders and usatf.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
More Vail Info

more pics! Go to this link for the campground map and head to the Merlot Mesa. The merlot Mesa is the start of the trail heads for most trails. Park next to the go kart track.

http://vaillakeresort.com/index.php?p=2_2_Campsite-Map

On Oct 3-4 we have the SoCal Fat Tire Epic & Bicycle expo going on. On Sunday the 4th I will have shuttles running to the top of the ridge lines!

www.socalendurance.com

I am trying to find a rough copy of the new trail map! I'll post it up when i find it!

·
Banned
236 Posts
I rode this, thanks for the map. I am visiting from seattle, and am looking for less 'sandy' type riding. I rode hodges, too flat and easy/buffed. I like technical challenges, etc, someone showme where the riding is in the area, here this weekend only, will bvuy you food or beer or both. call me and ride with me: 206 892 8777 thanks gem

1 - 20 of 20 Posts