Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Gaint Boulder SE that i bought from a LBS. I know the owner personally and so I can get installation for free and maybe a discount. Anyway, my bike came with an Altus Rear derailleur and it has held up well for a year. I think it is time to upgrade and I was deciding between a Shimano XT or a Sram ESP 7.0? Any opinions on either. Byt he way, i mostly ride urban and jump off curbs so I would like the chain tension to be tight but on the other hand when I do go off road i try to hit the muddiest spots. Thanks for any information. Eric

·
Registered
184 Posts
ericmccull11 said:
I have a 2003 Gaint Boulder SE that i bought from a LBS. I know the owner personally and so I can get installation for free and maybe a discount. Anyway, my bike came with an Altus Rear derailleur and it has held up well for a year. I think it is time to upgrade and I was deciding between a Shimano XT or a Sram ESP 7.0? Any opinions on either. Byt he way, i mostly ride urban and jump off curbs so I would like the chain tension to be tight but on the other hand when I do go off road i try to hit the muddiest spots. Thanks for any information. Eric
SRAM ESP derailleurs require SRAM shifters, as they have a different actuation ratio than Shimano. Of course, the Altus shifters are junk so you'll be replacing them anyway. I'd rather shift an Altus derailleur with XT shifters than the other way around.

In terms of acutal use, they both work great, get what's cheaper to replace, since you'll break a lot of parts if you're into urban, street-jumping type riding.

--Shannon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I knew that SRAM has different shifters and thats why I thought the XT but I'll just switch the shifters unless i can find a derailleur cheaper.
Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts