Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 year son currently rides a kona stinky 2002 which he likes, but it is too heavy for him to do the dirt jumping he would like to do at our local bike park, Duthie Hill in Sammamish WA. He would like a transition double and I am looking at used as we can't afford new. I have found the following bike and wonder what everyone thinks of it and what you would pay for it. It is: TRANSITION DOUBLE$2100 USDTransition Double. Size Small. Ridden only a few times. Transition 32 Wheels ,RockShox Pike Coil fork, Fox RP2 Shock, Fatboy Bars, Elixer 5 Brakes, Raceface Evolve Cranks, Thompson Stem, Crane Creek Headset, Transition Seat,
Wellgo pedals, SRAM x-9 short derailer, frame is 2011.
I would be so greatful for anyones help and suggestions, even if it is another bike. Budget 1400-1500.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That price is probably a bit high seeing that last year they sold brand new for $2500 full retail I believe. Transition may still have some left available at bargain prices.

If you are looking to save a bit why not get a PBJ, BLT or some other hard tail? At 14 he still has knees to absorb the hits. I have been riding a Bank at Duthie for the last few weeks and it works well for everything I want to do out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That price is probably a bit high seeing that last year they sold brand new for $2500 full retail I believe. Transition may still have some left available at bargain prices.

If you are looking to save a bit why not get a PBJ, BLT or some other hard tail? At 14 he still has knees to absorb the hits. I have been riding a Bank at Duthie for the last few weeks and it works well for everything I want to do out there.
He can ride everything at Duthie but can't jump as high and maneuver the bike as he would like because of the weight of the Kona. He still likes the rear suspension which is why we are not looking for a hardtail. What is a Bank? Any idea where to buy last years transition? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Doubles come up in the ads at Pinkbike.com pretty regularly, so if you don't see one now, just wait a week. I paid $1500 for a complete Double several weeks ago, but that was for a singlespeed, and the controls were broken on the fork and shock (so no lockout, which I never use anyway).

The only thing I don't like is that the seat tube has a bend near the bottom so there's only 4-5 inches of adjustment possible. And since the seat tube is really short to keep the seat low, there's no way to get the seat high enough to get full leg extension for the long ride between the parking lot and the starting areas for Duthies freeride trails.

I got tired of riding with my knees so bent, so I moved all the parts from my Double to a Morpheus Skyla frame - similar design but with a straight seat tube so it rides comfortably with the seat up. But plenty of people ride Doubles at Duthie, including the guy who sold me the Skyla frame, so ask your son if this would matter to him. (I'll put my Double up for sale shortly, but its a large and it's frame-only, so not what you're looking for.)

Also, if weight is an issue, he should consider setting the bike up as a singlespeed. I don't miss the shifters one bit at Duthie, since I mostly just push my bike back to the top anyway. The returns are all called "push paths" and "walk-ups" for good reason... some people ride up them, but they're in the minority. Most of the people who ride the jump trails want to spend all of our energy on the descents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.