Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on powdercoating my big hit frame. I have it disassembled and I was wondering if I can remove the bearings from the pivot points without damaging them? I can't powdercoat the rear of the frame with the bearings in. Is there any alternative that I could use to paint the rear flat black that is strong and won't chip? Bed liner? Any idea on removing the bearings without damage? Its not worth spending $60+ on bearings to do this. Any ideas? Thanks

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
There is no safe way to remove bearings without damage. If you can push the bearings out by the outside race no prob, but the way most bearings seat this is impossible. Buy your bearings at a bearing wherhouse, it's much cheaper. Dont skimp & use paint, powdercoat all the way!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Powder coating will mess up the bearings. if you want to paint it with the bearing in. use car header paint and high heat clear coat, can buy it from napa or other car part stores.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
gabletech said:
Powder coating will mess up the bearings. if you want to paint it with the bearing in. use car header paint and high heat clear coat, can buy it from napa or other car part stores.
He is trying to avoid the price of replacement bearings.
Rattle can, very tacky, maybe he can bake the paint on the frame in the oven or a heat lamp.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can do the whole powdercoat process; sandblast, spray and bake. The only problem is that I cannot remove the bearings without damaging them, and if I left them in the frame they would be trashed by the end of the process. So I was seeing if I can remove them without trashing them. It seems there must be a way for maintenance, a manufacturer tool available for consumers or something along those lines.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
There is no special tool to remove bearings without damage. Sound like you have connections with wholsale, so buy the bearings from QBP or a bearing whearhouse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's always best not to re-use cartridge bearings that are press fit. They don't have the clearances that they used to, plus they are cheap if you do like the others say and get them from a specialty shop. I'd personally just replace them all for peace of mind. FWIW, I replaced all of my bearings on my Stab for 30 clams....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts