Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorta dumb on certain things techy on bikes and I need some help. I have a 02 or 03 Monocog and I need to replace the freewheel and drive sprocket. Does anyone know what size/thread pitch/etc freewheel I need? Also, the original freewheel is a 18t and the front chainring is a 38t. I'd like to get a little easier ratio, will a 19t be enough of a difference to notice?

Also, like I said, I need a new front sprocket. How do I identify one that will fit. Do I need 110mm BCD, 74mm BCD, how do I tell?

Lastly (sorry!) if I'm going to replace both, should I get away from the 38x18 ratio that's on it now and go with what I see alot, 34x17 or 32x16???

·
Registered
124 Posts
You're looking for a standard BMX style freewheel. Shimano and ACS are decent and retail around $15/$20. Yes you should plan to replace the chainring and also the chain at this time. I think the crank on the Monocog is a 4 arm, 104mm BCD. A 33 or 32 X17 ratio works pretty good for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I think one of these two should work:

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/SSFW/FW1452

Cromoly Freewheel, Brown colored, 1/2x3/32 Inch, Metric, 30x1 threaded freewheels can only be used on flip-flop BMX hubs

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/SSFW/FW1221

Single-Speed BMX Freewheel Cog for 1/2 x 1/8 Inch chains. English threads 1.37 Inch x 24tpi

One says for "bmx flip-flop style hubs" (which I have) and the other says for std bmx hubs ( which I have, they are BMX hubs) but the thread pitches are different??? I'm confused :(

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
I had a Monocog, mine was geared 38x15 standard. It was an '01 or '02 I think. Red, not black. I ended up switching to 32x18 before selling it. that was the biggest gear I could comfortably ride here in NW Montana. I find 32x20 perfect for most of my NW Montana (Northern Rocky Mtns) riding but could ride 32x18 if I wanted to walk more of the climbs.

in a flatter, rollier area like the Wash DC suburbs where I grew up, I would probably run 34x18.

but if you didn't mind the amount of walking you did with the Monocog's original ratio, I'd suggest keeping it. I like to run the biggest gear I can without walking too much. I think most SSers I know feel pretty likewise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.