Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my stock crankset/BB on my Ironhorse HT with a Race Face Evolve XC with a SRX bb. Installation was a breeze products look great but I am encountering problems with the front deraileur hitting the chain/cranks during low gear shift.

The stock bracket after researching is a 68/116.... the new SRX ISIS is a 68/108
Can anyone guide me on front deraileur adjustment so I can get this right. I thought it was possibly a wrong size bb but on another topic where it stated to use the 108 and adjust the front deraileur.

Where do I start, adjust front deraileur or just try to find a replacement BB with the right size? :confused:

How do I just the front d? :confused:

Thanks....

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Exchange

the new BB for the correct one. Your looking at about 5/16" of a difference from the stock BB. I believe you will have poor shifting in both your small and large chainring.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'm not familiar with your new crankset or bb, but don't worry about what your old crankset used, it isn't relevant. Your bb spindle length (this is a spindle type isis crankset/bb, yes?) is related to your crankset more than your frame. The 108 bb was the recommended bb for your new crankset, yes? Sometimes they come in two spindle lengths for different chainline needs, but that's about it. (Read up at www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html) If you didn't get the recommended bb spindle length from RaceFace, I'd do it now.

It's not unusual to have to change your derailleur adjustment when changing cranks. I'm not sure I understand your stated problem... how can your cranks be contacting your derailleur when you're in the granny ring (low gear)? In any case the parktool.com instructions should get you to the proper front derailleur adjustments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.