Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put new crankset on my Rig and was wondering everyones opinion between a shimano xt and a raceface deus. I currently have one of the xt's on a different bike and like it a lot, just thought I would consider race face as well, although it seems like the race faces are getting pretty bad reviews. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I have the Raceface Evolve XC on my Niner. The only problem I've ever had with it is that if I ride in extremely wet conditions, it does have a tendency for the bearings to freeze up after the bike sits. They usually break loose and work fine after a few rotations. I'm assuming that water is getting into the bearings and causing minor surface rust. Personally, I try to avoid Shimano because they do some really annoying things (9 and 10 speed systems, proprietary BB interfaces, etc., etc.) and they have way too much influence over what we will be riding in the future. But if performance is the only consideration (and sometimes it is) then you really can't go wrong with an XT crank.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
RF is a little lighter than XT but also harder to install and (in my experience) bearings aren't as nice.
XT's are super easy to install.
Given a choice (and with price being the same), I would go with XT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One more vote...

...for the XTs.

Based on my experience with RF and Shimano outboard bearing designs, the nod goes to Shimano for ease of installation. IMO both work well, but XT setup seems more user friendly.

Have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.