Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering a new bike and would like to hear your thoughts. I’m an 185lb aggressive rider who rides 2-4 times a week and would like to get to places like Snowshoe and Whistler once or twice a year. My ride is around 10 miles with 7 3-4 foot jumps and drops and goes up and down the longest climb being around 300 yards. Currently I’m on a built up 01 Enduro Pro.

I’m considering the Santa Cruz Heckler or Bullet, Foes FXR, Ellsworth Joker, ID or Moment, Turner 5-Sport or possible the Banshee Chaparral. Those frame/bikes are all over the board in price but all seem to be in the general range of use. The Heckler frame with the 5th Element seems hard to beat for $1050.00 built up around $2700.00. So, what are your thoughts? Are you getting that much more bang for your buck with the higher dollar frames?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
enduroprorider said:
I'm considering a new bike and would like to hear your thoughts. I'm an 185lb aggressive rider who rides 2-4 times a week and would like to get to places like Snowshoe and Whistler once or twice a year. My ride is around 10 miles with 7 3-4 foot jumps and drops and goes up and down the longest climb being around 300 yards. Currently I'm on a built up 01 Enduro Pro.

I'm considering the Santa Cruz Heckler or Bullet, Foes FXR, Ellsworth Joker, ID or Moment, Turner 5-Sport or possible the Banshee Chaparral. Those frame/bikes are all over the board in price but all seem to be in the general range of use. The Heckler frame with the 5th Element seems hard to beat for $1050.00 built up around $2700.00. So, what are your thoughts? Are you getting that much more bang for your buck with the higher dollar frames?

Thanks!
Assuming you are going to build up each bike the same, with a 5-6" SC fork I would probably look closest at the Heckler and the 5-Spot. Bullit with a DC is a riot up at whistler, not much fun for peddalin anywhere else though.

Maybe to help us choose, let us know why you want to get rid of the enduro (what do you not like about it?)

TJ

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it, I just want something new.

006_007 said:
Assuming you are going to build up each bike the same, with a 5-6" SC fork I would probably look closest at the Heckler and the 5-Spot. Bullit with a DC is a riot up at whistler, not much fun for peddalin anywhere else though.

Maybe to help us choose, let us know why you want to get rid of the enduro (what do you not like about it?)

TJ
I don't plan on getting rid of my enduro pro I love it to much but would like a little more travel and just some new stuff. I could upgrade my enduro pro but by the time i'd get done i'd been better off just getting a new bike. Besides, the more bikes the merrier...

Thanks again.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
enduroprorider said:
I'm considering a new bike and would like to hear your thoughts. I'm an 185lb aggressive rider who rides 2-4 times a week and would like to get to places like Snowshoe and Whistler once or twice a year. My ride is around 10 miles with 7 3-4 foot jumps and drops and goes up and down the longest climb being around 300 yards. Currently I'm on a built up 01 Enduro Pro.

I'm considering the Santa Cruz Heckler or Bullet, Foes FXR, Ellsworth Joker, ID or Moment, Turner 5-Sport or possible the Banshee Chaparral. Those frame/bikes are all over the board in price but all seem to be in the general range of use. The Heckler frame with the 5th Element seems hard to beat for $1050.00 built up around $2700.00. So, what are your thoughts? Are you getting that much more bang for your buck with the higher dollar frames?

Thanks!
I have some experience with a few of your choices and will try to relate my real usage . I've owned a Bullit & Joker and currently own a Moment (all three were built with similar if not the same parts and were the 6" travel versions).

The Moment is my favorite of the 3 and the most expensive. Mine has the Vanilla RC ProPedal rear shock at 6" travel but is available with a a variety of shocks varing travel from 5.25"to 6". It is so much more balanced than the other two and gives you a awesome feeling of control. I have yet to put my 6" triple clamp on it but it has done very well with a Fox V125 RLC. Both the Bullit and Joker suffered from suspension stiffning "lock-out" while climbing, especially in the middle ring in rough terrain) and had poor braking in fast, rough downhills. The Moment is a much better climber and decender. The Moment is also much stiffer than the other two which helps give it great cornering control. It rails the corners and is much more "flickable" if that makes sense.

My weekly riding partner has an 04 FXR w/ the Carnutt. This is probably the best execution of the single pivot design. The frame is incredably stiff and the Carnutt practically erases the the things I disliked about the Bullit and Joker. It does have funky front derailleur cable routing though.

As far as "bang for the buck" - My riding partners tell me I'm faster on the Moment and I feel faster and in more control so it was worth it for me. Another frame you should consider adding to your list is the Ventana X5. It can also be a 5-6" travel bike with geometry similar to the others. The reviews seem to be positive.

Good luck and have fun shopping

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
enduroprorider said:
I don't plan on getting rid of my enduro pro I love it to much but would like a little more travel and just some new stuff. I could upgrade my enduro pro but by the time i'd get done i'd been better off just getting a new bike. Besides, the more bikes the merrier...

Thanks again.
Ok, so we are looking for a bike to work on other types of riding that the enduro is not as comfortable with.

I would eliminate the Heckler then, as it is for the same type of riding as the Enduro. Ditto for the 5 spot. Would definately consider the Bullit w DC fork, great fun in Whistler. Not interested in the new VP-Free? Being in Canada I avoid Ellsworth products due to lack of parts availability.

I love having the combo of a nice trailbike (Enduro) along with a Freeride/DH rig (used to have Bullit,have something else on order right now). A road bike is also fun for a 30mile sprint after work........

TJ

·
Registered
379 Posts
I vote for the Chaparral

enduroprorider said:
I?m considering a new bike and would like to hear your thoughts. I?m an 185lb aggressive rider who rides 2-4 times a week and would like to get to places like Snowshoe and Whistler once or twice a year. My ride is around 10 miles with 7 3-4 foot jumps and drops and goes up and down the longest climb being around 300 yards. Currently I?m on a built up 01 Enduro Pro.

I?m considering the Santa Cruz Heckler or Bullet, Foes FXR, Ellsworth Joker, ID or Moment, Turner 5-Sport or possible the Banshee Chaparral. Those frame/bikes are all over the board in price but all seem to be in the general range of use. The Heckler frame with the 5th Element seems hard to beat for $1050.00 built up around $2700.00. So, what are your thoughts? Are you getting that much more bang for your buck with the higher dollar frames?

Thanks!
It will take those drops with aplomb. It climbs much better than you would think out of a bike of it's weight and intended purpose. Do a few of those drops on a Chaparral and I guarantee you'll start looking for bigger ones to try.

Duc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.