Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moose Enthusiast
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:madman:
okay so i have had my pike 426 for quite a while and love it but have recently been wanting it stiffer. so i ordered a firm spring from my lbs and after waiting 3 months for a back ordered part i finally get my spring. so i downloaded the service manual bought some 5wt oil and set to work... except im having trouble with the first task of simply getting the lowers off!!!
it says to loosen the bolts 3-4 turns and then tap with a plastic faced mallet. i didnt have a plastic faced mallet so i have tried to use both a rubber mallet and lightly tapping with a metal one. it just wont budge even after i remove the bolts and everything like the service manual says. i want to learn how to do this myself but i dont want to break anything

HELP
thanks,
-alex

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
hofferfish said:
:madman:
okay so i have had my pike 426 for quite a while and love it but have recently been wanting it stiffer. so i ordered a firm spring from my lbs and after waiting 3 months for a back ordered part i finally get my spring. so i downloaded the service manual bought some 5wt oil and set to work... except im having trouble with the first task of simply getting the lowers off!!!
it says to loosen the bolts 3-4 turns and then tap with a plastic faced mallet. i didnt have a plastic faced mallet so i have tried to use both a rubber mallet and lightly tapping with a metal one. it just wont budge even after i remove the bolts and everything like the service manual says. i want to learn how to do this myself but i dont want to break anything

HELP
thanks,
-alex
Shouldn't have to remove the lowers to do a spring change but it would be a GOOD idea to change the semi-bath oil @ this time. Loosen the the bolts a few turns and give a smack (in your case hit a little harder using the mtal one) - you are loosening the rod's from the lowers. Un thread them some more and they should push in by hand if not tap them in some more. Remove the bolts & pull off the lowers.

·
Moose Enthusiast
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thankyou!
i ended up watching the boxxer tuning video from tftuned and just smacking it harder.
i just put in 5wt oil and man did i feel like an idiot making such a mess. but i learned..

after a year of hard riding would you suggest re- oiling the compression leg as it shows in the service manual?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.