Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first and probably last thread here. I need help with my new bergamont evolve bike. Its 2006 and i bought it used this week.
It has deore lx drivetrain and brakes. Manitou black 140mm fork and x fusion 02 r rear shock. I need help with many things.
First off, this is my first serious bike with air suspension.
1. When I sit on the bike, the rear shock bottoms out, Ive been told that that means I have to pump it, but I dont have a shock pump, any more help on that?
2. Chain, when on granny gear, rubs against the front deraullier and makes noise and vibrations
How can I make it not do that?
3. It has brake+shifter combo and the right one is broken near the bolt that holds it to the handlebars. Can that be epoxied or welded or what, as its not popular or cheap here to replace

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
1. Buy a shock pump. Google how to adjust sag.
2. Adjust front derailleur limit screw. Again, google is your friend, there are countless aids and guides out there. Or take it to a shop, it's likely a simple fix.
3. I doubt epoxy alone would be strong enough. If your good at McGuyvering, you might be able reinforce the fix in some way, but without a pic it's difficult to offer a suggestion.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Is that a cable brake? If so, you likely can get a new Shimano combo brake/shifter for $15-$25 that will work. What kind of brakes and how many speeds?

Take it to you're LBS and they should be able to order one that'll work for you.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Front derailleurs are tricky. You have to get the cage parallel to the rings, set it at exactly the right height, set the cable tension exactly right, and then set that the limit screws exactly so they shift the chain but don't throw it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didnt explain much, hoping my photos will explain but i cant attach images idk why, but its only scraping on the bottom of the cage. However, there are 2 bolts on the derailleur that are bolted to the max

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
What's the specific model number on the brake levers and shifter? Brake lever should start with the letters BL and shifter should start with SL. Please post a photo of the broken part. It might be fixable but you might need to just replace it.

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
I think you have to have more than 10 posts to attach pics

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. Buy a shock pump. Google how to adjust sag.
2. Adjust front derailleur limit screw. Again, google is your friend, there are countless aids and guides out there. Or take it to a shop, it's likely a simple fix.
3. I doubt epoxy alone would be strong enough. If your good at McGuyvering, you might be able reinforce the fix in some way, but without a pic it's difficult to offer a suggestion.
I cant afford a shock pump, even if I can it would be an ebay one from china 20$ that would arrive in june and I need it the sooner the better, but I would like to not buy it at all, as Im not that professional. I wanted a full suspension but dont need all of this

·
Registered
998 Posts
Your other option is to take it to a shop, but in the end you'll pay more doing that than you will for a shock pump. So if you can't afford a shock pump you probably can't afford taking it to a shop.

What made you think you wanted a 13 year old FS bike if you literally had no ancillary/maintenance budget whatsoever?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Your local bike shop will probably lend you a shock pump. But if you have full suspension - or even just a hardtail - you'll need it on a somewhat regular basis.

You could try JB Weld on the broken brake lever.

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
well...the more "techy" the machine is, the more "all of this" you are going to encounter...

where and how will you be riding? Do you really even need full suspension at all?

FS bikes are not "plug and play" machines. A rigid bike would be the answer to that, but it is too late in your case unless you sell what you have and get a rigid bike....sounds like that is not in the plan for now

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You have to buy a shock pump. Air forks and shocks require them. It has nothing to do with being professional, it is just how they work. They are air springs that require air to be pumped into them.

That is like saying I want a car but I don’t want to buy gas for it so I am not going to.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Your bike is useless without a shock pump. Where do you live? It should not be hard to find one to borrow and most fellow riders will he more than happy to lend you one. Just ask.

Or you can get one on Amazon for under $30 and have it in a day or two.

Do you at least have a floor pump for your tires? Your bike is useless without that too. Bicycles, like any other mechanical thing, require a few basic, cheap tools for maintenance. If you can't set aside a few bucks for these things, perhaps you need to work on your budget in general so you can.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I looked at your pic of the broken shifter. You can try epoxy or JBWeld but I doubt it'll hold. If you absolutely can't afford a replacement, then you might try doing the glue and then adding narrow strips of duct tape. Apply several 1/2" strips to strap the assembly housing to the bar as best you can, overlapping them and building them up. Whatever you do, don't glue the shifter to the bar itself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your bike is useless without a shock pump. Where do you live? It should not be hard to find one to borrow and most fellow riders will he more than happy to lend you one. Just ask.

Or you can get one on Amazon for under $30 and have it in a day or two.

Do you at least have a floor pump for your tires? Your bike is useless without that too. Bicycles, like any other mechanical thing, require a few basic, cheap tools for maintenance. If you can't set aside a few bucks for these things, perhaps you need to work on your budget in general so you can.
I have a mini pump for my tires and that can not fit on the shock because its behind the frame. I live in Bosnia and here everyone rides hardtails with sr suntour xct piece of s*it forks. Thing is I am 16 so im really limited in case of budget.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
I say sell that bike. Buy an old steel bike without suspension, get the biggest tires that will fit and run the lowest air pressure you can without flatting. Also try and get access to a set of allen wrenches to adjust the fit: saddle, stem, lever position etc.

Seriously cut your loses. If getting your hands on a shock pump is difficult, you are in for real trouble when you find out just how much maintenance your 13 year old air suspension really needs.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Sounds like you bought a bike that is way beyond your means to maintain. It is not a matter of being "professional," but the basic needs to own and ride a bike like that. You need a simpler bike or more money, plain and simple. That sucks, but your suspension and broken parts can't fix themselves, certainly not for free.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.