Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a "Marin Quake 5.0 HardTail" last night. It's a 2000 or 2001, seems like a great bike. I have NEVER ridden a mountain bike before, but am looking at riding some trails on it. I normally ride a bmx bike through the trails, but as I get more and more advanced, the bmx isn't cutting it anymore. SO, my question is.. I have 2 gears up front, and 8 in the back (i think that would make it a 16 gear?!) my left shifter has 3 adjustments for gears, while the right has 2-8 (shift 1 being blacked out, and I can't turn the gear up to one..) I don't understand how the gearing works. I also can't get to the 3rd shift on my left side. I am THINKING that the left shifter of course controls the front, so since there are only 2 gears, that it has been modified, and that would cause the inability to shift to that 3rd number. BUT, I'm having a problem with the whole thing clicking on gears, like it's not sitting correctly or soemthing! I don't really understand how this all works, and that would be the reason why I'm in the newb section.. HELP! Ha ha.. Thanks!

(hope you all could follow that!)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, the left shifter generally does the front 3 gears, or in your case 2. Whoever had the bike before you probably didn't use one of the gears much, so got rid of it. I really only need my middle chainring up front. If you can, I would take the bike for a tuneup and have the person go over some basics with you. Hopefully they can get rid of some of the clicking. If you can't get it in for a tune-up, I would start by oiling/cleaning the chain and gears. That may help and is easy and cheap. Have fun!

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Does it have a bashguard, a metal plate on the outside of the rings up front? So you would have two rings and then a metal (or plastic) plate.

I really don't know why the final shift for the rear would be "blacked out", other than the fact that the previous owner must never have adjusted the rear derailleur to work through all the gears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it has a plate on it.. As for a tune up.. I figure i'll end up just doing one on my own. The "clicking" sound is coming from the front derailer.. The chain is rubbing against the side of the derailer..

·
Registered
928 Posts
go to park tool.com

Go to parktool.com and read, read, read. Then do all your own repairs, it's just about the only way your bike will be in tip top riding condition all the time. And at least once a week clean and lube your chain. For the chain I recommend Boshield T-9.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.