Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pictures in this thread brought on some nostalgia:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=94591

I am trying to remember what year my old StumpJumper was. I believe 81 or 82, but do not know when they first made them. It was supposedly the 3rd ever sold by the LBS patronized. It was blue, and I remember the Mafac brakes one had to bend to adjust and the levers really looked more like motorcycle levers than all of the bike ones that came afterward.

Just prior to getting it we were always searching for parts and stuff to fool with and I recall having a catalog that I believe could have been Gary Fisher's that sold Magura levers, and I think Araya 26 inch rims. I also had a Mountain Goat catalog, and and some Ritchey info. I got the StumpJumper because it all of a sudden became available and was really slick compared to my Elgin one speed. I think Sun Tour came out with Mountain Bike branded stuff and nicer thumb shifters later in the year or a year later, then I remember Ross , Diamondback and Trek came out with bikes, and there were tire choices and other parts.

I blame lack of detail on an era when drinking age was 18, being on a campus that was perpetually rated as one of the best by Playboy magazine, yes and I actually got lucky when my non-student neighbor pointed out Playboy said a particular library was a top 10 college pickup spot and I went there. I guess my revenge is having 3 kids of my own.

I keep thinking I should look in the phone book for the guy who bought it, and now I laugh that a glued together Trek with roller cam brake replaced it.

Anyway does blue, Mafac brakes, and crude brake levers and shifters compared to the models after help date it? I had two old one speeds in 80 and 81 and I thought it was 82, but I want to be right.

In the day the bike was a really cool thing compared to my Brit 3 speed and one speeds with brick pattern and snake belly tires.

Thank you historians.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
bitflogger said:
Anyway does blue, Mafac brakes, and crude brake levers and shifters compared to the models after help date it? I had two old one speeds in 80 and 81 and I thought it was 82, but I want to be right.
1982 was the first year for the StumpJumper. The first batch of roughly 500 bikes was made in late '81. The decals and fork crown on these bikes are different from the later models. Here's a link with pics and info on the first batch: original StumpJumper.

Later frames looked a bit different (decals and fork), but were still '82 Stumpjumpers. Also, these bikes were TIG welded. The '83 bikes were lugged.

If you still have the bike, the manufacture date is included in the serial number. The 2nd and 3rd characters are the year and month - the month is A-L where A = Jan and L = Dec.

Also check out the Fist FLight site: http://www.firstflightbikes.com/specialized_specs.htm
There are component specs for most years, plus links to all of their early Stumpys.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.