Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So I'm currently using a Blk Mrkt Riot as my do-it-all bike. I've gotten the FR itch again, though, and I'm trying to get back into it.

I genuinely enjoy both DJ/urban and FR, so I bought my friend's 2007 Stinky frame, FSA cranks, Mavic 823/Sun S-Type wheelset, Fox Van R shock, and a bunch of other stuff, all for only $300. I spent the vast majority of yesterday working on building it up with parts cannibalized from the Riot to see how it rides... hence the 80mm fork.

Here it is now:

So, I have very little money.... being a wee'un, it's kinda hard to get a job right now.... didn't get my lazy ass out to apply early, so I'm hoping for a gig at a grocery store later on.... but I digress.

Here's what I have now...

-- Frame: 2007 Stinky, size medium
-- Shock: 2007 Fox Van R. Don't want to waste money on a new shock right now... but a DHX Air might be nice. Definitely getting a 400lb spring.... I'm only 140lbs.
-- Fork: 2007 Marzocchi DJ1 on there now. Getting whatever I can get 150mm and up, as long as it's cheap and works well.... maybe a Sherman or Super T. I can get a Super T Pro for $100.
-- Bars: Easton EA50
-- Stem: FSA Gap
-- Crank: FSA Gap
-- Front wheel: Mavic EX823 laced to Abbah hub.
-- Rear wheel: Sun S-Type on XT hub
-- Rear Derailleur: Sram X-7
-- Cassette: SRAM
-- Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
-- Brakes: Shimano Deore hydraulic.
-- Pedals: Deity Decoy
-- Seatpost: Easton EA50
-- Seat: Velo
-- Front tire: Kenda Small Block 8 2.35
-- Rear tire: WTB Vulpine 2.1 (SHUT UP!!! These are what I have! Nevegals later.)

So, I'm trying to keep it as light as possible.... I'm not very strong and I'd like this to be sorta AM-friendly as well. Any ideas what it might weigh/what I should change? I have no beef against used parts. In fact, I embrace them. :D

Thanks a lot for any help! Stoked to get out and huck!

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
you got a great deal, I feel kind of bad for your friend haha. I would say the fork would be the first thing to be replaced but as for everything else just wait until it breaks then go from there. no use trying to upgrade perfectly good working parts on a budget bike.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Very nice first rig, a 07 stinky was (and still is) my first DH/FR rig, it wont let you down. Be careful riding the bike with the 80mm DJ1's, that BB height is gonna be super low and you may smack in into rocks and such.

With the fork, try and find a used 06-07 marzocchi 66, they are KILLER forks for those bikes

Now if you want some advice on upgrades when you have the cash, here is what i would do.

Change the pedals to Kona Wah Wah's, indestructable and super grippy, cheap to
Change that long cage RD to a medium cage X9, you'll have less chain flapping round
And if you plan to keep the Front Derailluer, look at investing in a dualring chain guide

Haha, also, you may want to consider investing in a rear brake and seat clamp!

Welcome to the game my friend, have fun and ride hard!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nick_M2R said:
Very nice first rig, a 07 stinky was (and still is) my first DH/FR rig, it wont let you down. Be careful riding the bike with the 80mm DJ1's, that BB height is gonna be super low and you may smack in into rocks and such.

With the fork, try and find a used 06-07 marzocchi 66, they are KILLER forks for those bikes

Now if you want some advice on upgrades when you have the cash, here is what i would do.

Change the pedals to Kona Wah Wah's, indestructable and super grippy, cheap to
Change that long cage RD to a medium cage X9, you'll have less chain flapping round
And if you plan to keep the Front Derailluer, look at investing in a dualring chain guide

Haha, also, you may want to consider investing in a rear brake and seat clamp!

Welcome to the game my friend, have fun and ride hard!
The fork is frickin' scary. I'm not even really riding it now..... too weird, but I wanted to ride it a little and test my skills at building a bike.

As for the fork, just got hooked up with a brand new Drop Off -- 150mm, 20mm TA, coil, rebound adjust, as a straight trade for the beat up DJ1. So that's taken care of....

Upgrades:
-- I do already have Kona Wah Wahs. Technically Deity Decoys but they're just white WahWahs.
-- Amen. This was the derailleur I had laying around.
-- Rear brake, seat clamp, etc: Bike wasn't fully built yet.

I need:

-- Crown race
-- Fork put on
-- Derailleur fixed
-- Rear brake
-- Seat clamp

and the bike will be ready to kick ass.

I am not really new to FR, I've had many different bikes, but was focused more on getting new bikes every month or so than progressing, so I am a n00b skill-wise. I paid for all the stuff though.... haha.

You bet it'll be ridden hard. To school, urban hucks, dirt jumps, I'm building a roll-in off my 2 story deck, FR, and building some ladder drops in the woods behind my house! 6 acres with a creek to gap and lots of trees for wood! Sweet!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
08nwsula said:
you got a great deal, I feel kind of bad for your friend haha. I would say the fork would be the first thing to be replaced but as for everything else just wait until it breaks then go from there. no use trying to upgrade perfectly good working parts on a budget bike.
Well, he hooked me up.... because I hooked him up with a Stinky as HIS first bike, and he can't stand to let it go, so I get it cheap!

I completely agree. I upgrade when a part gets irritating to have/use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts