Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a issue with my conversion that I cannot seem to get rid of. I did a conversion using a Fetish Cycles Discipline frame, that seemed to work fine for about a month. But now I cannot get the chain to track straight so it keeps walking on the tensioner rollers and once it gets to the side of the roller, the chain rubs on the rubber. I am using a wheels mfg singlespeed kit on a Shimano XT hub, and a Gusset tesioner (non spring loaded version). The Crank is a FSA MotoX. I tried to take some pictures of the chain line so maybe somebody can tell me if it incorrect. Would I be better off going with a spring tensioner such as a Surly Singulator? I built this bike for a specific trail to get a better workout than on my Stumpjumper FSR, but I am finding this bike to be more of a hassle than my geared bike. Seriously thinking about slapping on some cogs and rear der and running 1x9.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a similar set up on my Gary Fisher conversion and mine is dead center in the roller of the tensioner. It could be possible that something is bent or loose. Check the obvious things first like loose chainring bolts or the lock ring on the rear cog. It could possibly be a bent axle or a bad bottom bracket. Keep us posted.

Ken

P.S. Is that a new chain? That could be worn too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
it looks like you may need to move the rear cog inbound ~5mm to better line up with the tensioner. It'd be easier to say for sure if there was a shot showing how your rear cog and chainring are lined up though.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
Maybe shorten the chain and install that tensioner to push up while you're at it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DanD said:
it looks like you may need to move the rear cog inbound ~5mm to better line up with the tensioner. It'd be easier to say for sure if there was a shot showing how your rear cog and chainring are lined up though.
I think this should be a bit eaiser to see. As far as the Chain, it is new. Picture just looks old due to Arizona dirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Okay, with the new pictures your chainline looks really pretty good, better than my bike at least. I wish I had the bike in front of me to really get a good diagnosis, but it sort of looks like your derailleur hanger is bent inwards a tiny bit. I'm not positive that this is what is causing your issue, but if you have access to a derailleur alignment gauge I would throw it on and see if it is bent. If it is bent, I think what is happening is that the roller isn't planar like it ought to be, so the "inboard" side of the roller is actually a tiny bit higher than the outboard side, so the chain is preferentially sliding that way. If you don't have access to a derailleur hanger tool another threaded rear wheel can be threaded into the derailleur hanger, then bend until the wheel in the frame and the wheel threaded into the d-hanger are planar with eachother. This is less precise than having the actual tool (which all bike shops will have), but it does the job Okay.

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
JVM...looks like you're a fellow zonie... Take it to cactus in ahwatukee and fish will hook it up right for you on that deraillur straighten. He just did mine and it's as good as new. All he asks in return is some fat tire or 2below. way cheaper than a new hanger!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled off the tensioner and wheel today, and tried to push the chain up rather than down, and unfortunately I could not get the bolt hole to line up where it attaches to the hanger and the QR. So I pushed down as far as I could to the point where there is basically no slack at all. Very noisy, and it concerns me that the roller will wear quickly, but it did not seem to move. Still need to take it into the shop because my BB seems to be making a noise. I'm afraid it may have been contaminated by sandblasting media left in the frame after I had it powdercoated. I thought I cleaned it out good enough, but there was some I could not get out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
jvm051 said:
I pulled off the tensioner and wheel today, and tried to push the chain up rather than down, and unfortunately I could not get the bolt hole to line up where it attaches to the hanger and the QR. So I pushed down as far as I could to the point where there is basically no slack at all. Very noisy, and it concerns me that the roller will wear quickly, but it did not seem to move. Still need to take it into the shop because my BB seems to be making a noise. I'm afraid it may have been contaminated by sandblasting media left in the frame after I had it powdercoated. I thought I cleaned it out good enough, but there was some I could not get out.
The way that tensioner is it won't work un the "push up" position because of the position of where the wheel is. I have the same one on my bike. You need to purchase a Rennen tensioner to work in the 'push up' position.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.