Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one of the last 06 Motolite frames when they were on sale at Speedgoat. I'm a sucker for good deals and couldn't resist and bought it on impulse, besides liking the Titus more than the Yeti, Specialized, GF etc. I have no regrets:thumbsup:

I'm looking for a good Shimano XT, Scram X9 build kit for $1000 or less with everything included except for the fork, which I already have. I don't need the best stem, bars, seat etc since I can upgrade those parts later when I have more riding experience(more concerned with strong wheelset). So far I found some nice kits on Greenfish and Pricepoint, which I hear are good companies(will also see if Speedgoat will price match since they were awesome). I'm 230 and want to go down to 180, but you know how that goes. I got down to 215 on just diet but put it all back during the holidays with my grandmas food in Mexico since I'm inactive. I've been recovering from rotator cuff surgery and have about 2 more months before I can ride again so I can wait for a better deal and I'm in no hurry. I need a wheelset that is strong for my fat but though. I will mainly be riding Texas Hill Country trails with no jumps or fast aggressive riding. I have a local who is doing the build. Here are the kits I'm looking at so far.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1330
this one only has the components so I will have to buy the wheelset and goodies and will go a little over $1000 which is cool. They have some Azonic Outlaw wheels for $249, are they strong enough?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15...ts-135-Build-Kits/Sram-X.9-Disc-Build-Kit.htm This kit pretty much has everything and would be cheaper. Should I upgrade the wheels to maybe the Outlaws or Bombshell Revolutions or are the Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset w/ Sun Rhyno Lite's included strong enough? Don't want to true them after every ride. Any advice with strong cheap products or compatibility with the parts I'm considering from fellow Titus owners will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the rookie questions and long winded post and thanks for any recomendations in advance.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am also 230lb. I say go with the greenfishsports kit and then get someone to build you a set of wheels with XT hubs and Mavic 819 rims. They will be much stiffer and stronger and will last a long time. The parts for the wheels could be had for around $300.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I agree the greenfish kit is a great deal and really nice parts!

I don't normally like pre-fab wheels, but the azonics are killer. They are really a FR wheelset with 36 spokes, but are actually pretty light and strong enough for true FR use. The icing on the cake is, both hubs are convertible between bolt-through and Qr... so if you change forks down the road you are covered. I have several friends going big on these wheelsets and I hear nothing but praise. I'd say go for the azonics!

As for the other stuff. I am really a fan of eBay personally. You ought to be able to pick up bars, stem, headset, seat & seatpost, pedals & tires cheaply on eBay. FSA and Raceface evolve are both killer brands to look for, great quality with a little bling and not too pricey. Lots of lightly used stuff out there too which can be great deals, if you are savvy with the eBay way.

You ought to also check in with BikerBob, I bet he can throw you a great parts kit fairly cheap.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Yolden Gears said:
I am also 230lb. I say go with the greenfishsports kit and then get someone to build you a set of wheels with XT hubs and Mavic 819 rims. They will be much stiffer and stronger and will last a long time. The parts for the wheels could be had for around $300.
I'm 220lbs with XT & 819's :)

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Ditch the KIT idea, hand pick the parts you really want, you'll spend a little more, but worth it in the long run. First and foremost, get a nice wheelset.

Ebay has the best prices, but you can also go mail order with coupons. You may also just ask Greenfish or another Mail order place like Universal, to knock 20% off your order
if you spend more than 1000. They usually have 15% off 300 or more.

I have a buddy who rides those Outlaws, nothing but positives!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AZONIC-OUTL...ryZ58089QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
FM said:
I agree the greenfish kit is a great deal and really nice parts!

I don't normally like pre-fab wheels, but the azonics are killer. They are really a FR wheelset with 36 spokes, but are actually pretty light and strong enough for true FR use. The icing on the cake is, both hubs are convertible between bolt-through and Qr... so if you change forks down the road you are covered. I have several friends going big on these wheelsets and I hear nothing but praise. I'd say go for the azonics!

As for the other stuff. I am really a fan of eBay personally. You ought to be able to pick up bars, stem, headset, seat & seatpost, pedals & tires cheaply on eBay. FSA and Raceface evolve are both killer brands to look for, great quality with a little bling and not too pricey. Lots of lightly used stuff out there too which can be great deals, if you are savvy with the eBay way.

You ought to also check in with BikerBob, I bet he can throw you a great parts kit fairly cheap.
I second FM's suggestion, talk to the "board dealers" Biker Bob, Chad @ Red barn, Larry @ MtnHighCyclery, or Will @ Full Cycles.... I bet any of those guys can get you the kit you want for a great price! ;)

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
crisillo said:
I second's FM suggestion, talk to the "board dealers" Biker Bob, Chad @ Red barn, Larry @ MtnHighCyclery, or Will @ Full Cycles.... I bet any of those guys can get you the kit you want for a great price! ;)
I agree with crisillo on this, talk to Biker Bob or Larry, they are looking after a good number of people on here really well. Or as FM says, go the adventure way and go hard on eBay...

Good luck.....:thumbsup:

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
crisillo said:
I second FM's suggestion, talk to the "board dealers" Biker Bob, Chad @ Red barn, Larry @ MtnHighCyclery, or Will @ Full Cycles.... I bet any of those guys can get you the kit you want for a great price! ;)
What I did was I found that same kit at Greenfish and went to the board dealer and had them put something together similarily or better within my budget, the rest is history.......damn UGI.........good thing is I'm broke now so can look but I can't buy.....:thumbsup:

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Suggestion

Whafe said:
I agree with crisillo on this, talk to Biker Bob or Larry, they are looking after a good number of people on here really well. Or as FM says, go the adventure way and go hard on eBay...

Good luck.....:thumbsup:
Many Titus dealers have build kits made for or taken off a Motolite and know what works best. They might steer you away from the X-gen front derailleur, or be able to include some Titus/Maxm branded parts, which is a nice touch on a Titus frame. Plus they know all the correct specs and geometries.
Gotta watch the shipping costs as an expense. 10 different eBay sources means 10 shipping charges.
I've talked to quite a few people who bought those closeout frames and ended up paying as much as a new complete bike would have cost after they piece together a build kit.
Unless you're real lucky, you can usually get the best price by working with the original dealer on a whole bike.
YMMV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.