Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help/advice in advance!

I am 5'6-5'7 and 140lbs.

I have a few options here at the LBS and not sure what to do.
(please remember that if i order new here to Canada - i have to go through LBS and it will cost whatever is quoted on the IBIS website +13% customs)

They have a 2010 Mojo with SLX buildkit for 2550 +5% tax - comes with Mavic Crossride Wheelset and shitty post and bars.

2010 Mojo SL either with XT buildkit - Ibis wheelset, monkeylite carbon bars and EA90 stem and seatpost for 4050 +5% tax
or same 2010 Mojo SL swapped to SLX buildkit for 2900 +5%

One Idea I have is to buy the 2010 Mojo SL with SLX buildkit and then buy an XT buildkit online as well as a new wheelset (i9 or crossmax ST) and then just sell the components I dont want or build up a bike for my wife.

Please let me know what you guys think.
btw - the SL is that rubberized grey color and the plain Mojo is orange.

thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
addendum

also wanted to add that if i were to buy an SLX specced one then i wouldnt actually buy a full xt buildkit but an assortment of parts :) ------please feel free to leave advice on that as well

i hope to pull the trigger in the next few days and post some pics!!

also wanted to mention both bikes have 2010 fox 140 mm float RLC forks

thanks again

·
Registered
114 Posts
I always say, spend the most you can afford. Both will be nice bikes. If you have the money, buy the lighter (2-3 pounds) SL XT bike. Shifting performance will be the same for both.

I would steer clear of mavic wheels though. Proprietary spokes can be a pain in the a$$ if you break one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sizing

thanks fro the reply

so the whole story is that i currently have a 2009 ellsworth epiphany that is actually a medium frame. i dont really know what the ideal size is for me. i did the measurements on competitive cycle but this is my first time looking at these types of measurements.

the ellsworth feels ok i guess but it felt harder to maneuver in tight single track then my previous ride (cannondale rush - small frame)

my plan was to give the ellsworth to my brother and buy a small mojo but based on a previous thread on mtbr it seemed like most people my height were actually more comfortable and actually bought medium mojo's

based on my measurements should the ellsworth be a good fit for me?
here are my measurements from competitive cycle:

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 78
Trunk: 104.5
Forearm: 31.5
Arm: 58.85
Thigh: 59.75
Lower Leg: 52
Sternal Notch: 139
Total Body Height: 167

XC
Standover Height Range: 29.3 - 29.9 inches
Virtual Top Tube: 25.8 - 26.2 inches
Stem Length: 11.5 - 13.1 cm
BB-Saddle Position: 67.3 - 68.8cm
Saddle-Handlebar: 61.7 - 63.3 cm

All Mountain Fit
Virtual Top Tube: 25.3 - 25.7 inches
Stem Length: 9.0 - 11.4 cm
BB-Saddle Position: 62.8 - 68.8 cm
Saddle-Handlebar: 59.8 - 61.6 cm

Gravity Fit
Virtual Top Tube: 25.0 - 25.4 inches
Stem Length: 5.5 - 8.9 cm
BB-Saddle Position: N/A
Saddle-Handlebar: N/A

·
Registered
114 Posts
Really, the only way to get the right fit without any doubt is to go to a shop and have someone who is well versed in bicycle fitting evaluate you.

Don't try to match up a frame to your body with numbers alone, go ride the bike!!!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Great advice was just given to you. What he said x2
I also like the 2010-11 xt line for the sl. It's just a small shade below xtr at half the price, upgrade if you like as you go. Yes ride the bike, but at your size I'm thinking you might be on the small frame. I'm 5'10 225 and ride a med. Good luck on your choice. You will love the ibis.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I would go for the SL XT bike.If you were looking to up grade the bike down the road from there I'd go for a nice light wheelset.
Sizing: I'm 5' 7" and ride a medium SL, my wife has a small SL and i've gone back and forth between the two alot.The only place I like the small better is really tight steep free ride, downhill stuff, otherwise its to small.Unfortunately the ideal size for us I believe is right between the small and medium, there is a big difference between the two sizes.I would go for the medium with a 70mm stem and a wide bar - 660mm or wider.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you can test ride, do so. I am 5-7.5 and ride a medium. I was concerned that it would be too small for me since I usually ride bikes with an effective top tube between 23 and 23.6"; the med had a 22.8" effective top tube. The only Ibis I could get my hands on to test was a large. It was fine, but I thought a med would be better and it was. I have a relatively short stem (haven't measured, but it looks like 70 or 80mm). I rode a med Ellsworth Truth and the med Ibis is a little more compact (stem on the Truth was 100mm).

Regarding build, if you like the components that come with the XT build, go for it. The Ibis is worthy of an XT build. It's really personal what build you go for. If you like most of the SLX components and just want to upgrade a few, you can get some really, really nice wheels plus a few other components for the difference between SLX and XT. I went for the X9 build using this philosophy and upgraded the wheels, saddle, and bars. I'm happy; however, I just got my new wheels and there is tons of snow on the ground so I haven't been able to give them a good ride. If weight is important to you, start with the XT build; otherwise, you'll end up wanting to replace everything and will spend a ton of $$.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Im 5'7" and I went with the medium, Ibis when compared to most are smaller frames.

I was in the same position as you between the XT and the SLX. I went with the XT but it wasn't because of the drive terrain, I looked more at the stans Rims, the carbon seatpost, the carbon bar and the fact that the XT was coming with 10spd and the SLX was still coming with the 9spd.

If I truly had my choice I would have gotten a X9 build with the 10spd kit but X9 10spd wasn't even released yet :D I really really wanted the Flow rims but it just wasn't worth taking the hit on getting 9 spd and moving backwards in bike technology evolution.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I am 5-8" and ride a medium. My buddy is 5'4" and rides a small. the medium, as noted above has a 22.8" TT which is a little short for a typical med frame, most are 23.0-23.2. So I thing the Med is probably you. Are you 5-6 or 5-7, which is it? The idea of re-selling the SLX stuff and upgrading makes no sense, as there is no real demand for the cheap SLX components. Then again, paying an extra $1250 now for an XT upgrade does not really make sense either. Then again, maybe buy the SLX, and your wife can use it and spend the addtional $ 1250 on wheelset, drivetrain, etc. Better yet, buy a new frameset for $ 1900 9sorry about the 13%) and build custom. Better yet, buy my used SL frameset (med) for $ 1375. and build a *****'in custom ride, then buy your wife a complete bike w/ SLX! Pm if interested in the frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks all for the replies

i am 5' and 6.5 inches.

the final package i have from these guys is:

2010 SL frame
2010 fox float 140mm RLC
ibis wheels
slx drivetrain
elixir R brakes
shitty (alloy) bars and post
for $2650

i also have access to a full xt (3x10) groupset excluding brakes for $500 (brand new)
which would put the total to $3150 considering this option. the only thing left would be to buy a new wheelset +/- carbon bars and post - and i still get to keep all the slx stuff and ibis wheels which i will get rid of build something for my wife. this option seems pretty tempting to me over the buying the xt build (my other option is $3800 for full xt build with carbon post and bars and elixir CR brakes)

im just really worried about the size. they dont have any medium SL's - only non-SL medium available

another option is just keeping the ellsworth and putting on a shorter stem but i really want to give it to my brother if i can get a killer build on this mojo for a good price.

am i making a huge mistake going with the small?!?!?

thanks again

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Bars and posts are mostly just bars and posts. I doubt they're sh*tty, shouldn't worry about them too much. ;) At that amount of money you should absolutely be worried about the size. See if there are any demo units in your area. The Ibis website has a locator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
from the responses it seems like most people around my height ended up going with the medium mojo although i got my brother to do a more accurate measurement and i am actually exactly 5 foot 6 inches :confused:
i am going to drop in to the store and ride both small (mojo SL) and medium (mojo) - there is like a couple feet of snow outside so riding outside isnt an option but ill ride it around in a few circles and get the mechanics there to give me their opinion
thanks again - ill definitely be posting on here again with many questions in regards to the build :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.