Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help with Mag 21 Rebuild/Tuning

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  felixcurly 
#1 ·
Hi alltogether,

this is my first post in this forum. Normally I am reading/writing in german (vintage) bike forums. But I couldn't get the help I need so I am trying my luck here.

I have a Rockshox Mag21 fork for my Specialized S Works Mtb. While rebuilding it, I did not only want to change the seals and O-rings, but I also would like to adapt it to my rider weight (~62 kg). Rock Shox has a nice manual, which I tried to attach here.
Following this manual I should choose the following setup:
  • softer valve spring (25lb)
  • no "valve spring preload", so no washers under the vavle spring
  • compression bleed hole with 1,5 or 2mm (depending on cross-country or downhill use)
  • no rebound bleed hole or 2x1,0mm (depending on cross-country or downhill use)
I have the disassambled fork here on my work bench (see pictures below). No coming to my problems... :oops:;)
  • Do you agree with the proposed setting? any propositions?
  • How do I know which valve spring I have? I should be able to check that by compressing the spring. The manual says there is a 25lb and a 40lb spring - but which length change should the spring make under this weight?
  • Honestly: I do not understand where the compression or bleed hole(s) should be.
  • what does this sentence mean (from the manual): "valve plates are a tuning variable. The .005” relief step machined into plates used from 1994-97 improves small bump response"
Thank you very much for your patience and help - I am looking forward to your comments!

Felix

Gas Auto part Font Automotive wheel system Circle
Font Wall Wood Material property Rectangle
Wood Gas Font Auto part Metal
Office ruler Automotive exterior Wood Font Tool
Household hardware Finger Gas Wood Door
Paint Writing implement Office supplies Font Tints and shades
Cylinder Nickel Auto part Pipe Metal

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
Hello Felix I can help you with all your Mag 21 problems. It's too much to write it all down here. Just send me an email to b_tight11@yahoo.de
Then we can change phone numbers and I will send you the information you need to setup the Mag 21 properly to your weight specifications. You can also make a tuneup to 63mm travel. I will tell you also how to mix the fork oil close to manufacture settings.
Greetings Jürgen

Thank you - email is sent! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.