Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Building up a 2006 XS motolite frame for my special lady. Considering she only weighs about a buck-fifteen priorities are a little different than for my bike (a yeti 575). I'm just seeing what people have run here as lightweight options.

What I am looking for...
  • no thru-axle
  • lightweight
  • stiffness not a huge priority, 30mm stantions fine
  • Adjustable travel would be nice, but not crucial

Looks like the head tube is a little slacker on the xs, so I don't think I want to go with too much travel.

Riding is primarily rugged epics, we live in the mountains (Tahoe). She's moving from a 21lb raced-out hardtail with a 3 inch fork :D

Thanks for any thoughts!

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
Second that..

What TiEndo said..

If you go for the Reba Team, you can increase the travel to 115mm should you feel the need for it, though it is not 'permitted' on the World Cup an account of its carbon crown.

Personnally the weight saving on the World Cup is not worth the money and/or the worry.

I think the Revalation air's aren't that heavy either. A U-turn model will allow you to tune the HA/travel, though is a bit heavier.

Cheers,

P.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also vote for the Reba.

I have a Reba World Cup on my race rig, but if I had to do it over again the Team would be my choice - it has very little weight difference and (to me) improved durability and less hassle with install - no special expander, and less hassle/worry about the steerer. And hey - you save yourself a couple of hundred bucks for more sensible bling elsewhere (if such a thing exists...). The U-turn version is a bit heavyish (for a WW), but the weight penalty might be worth it if you really feel you'll be adjusting the travel that often.

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
one thing to think about is she is off the assumed weight charts for most if not all the fork manufacturers... some thing that feels plush to someone at 180+ lbs may feel pretty harsh to a much lighter person... even with all the adjustments... maybe she could test drive a few...

on the other hand, if you get a Fox TALAS (100 to 140 mm adjustable) you could always send it to PUSH to have it custom valved (or whatever they do) for a lighter person... just a thought...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys, a reba team at 115 fixed would be light and reasonably priced. Never having ridden the bike, do those of you that ride with a reba wish you had a revelation for the 130 setting? Is the 115 too short feeling?

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
FYI, I usually ride my 07 Talas on a medium ML at the 120 setting. Having said that I am still playing around with headset spacers to get the handlebar height tuned to my liking.

You can run the ML with a 100mm fork (and optionally go for the 4" travel setting in the rear), though I find it rather squirrelly this way. Having said that your better half may be happy with that given her current ride.

IINM the Revelation dual-air can also be fixed to lower travel heights by use of a similar spacer system, which would give you added flexibility. The weight penalty will be around 0.35 pounds extra based on the RS website figures.

Cheers,

P.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Just to give you an actual weight figure on the Revelation dual air, mine came in at 1749 grams with an uncut steerer (260mm) ... it looks awesome and it is super stout (I am upgrading from a Marz Marathon SL which is no noodle either).

As pongee said, you can lower the travel with the "all travel spacer"... in a pinch, you can also put a little more pressure on the neg chamber to lower it a bit

EDIT: I was originally looking for a Reba, but got this Rev as a 06 closeout for much lower than the Reba Team I was looking at.. actually even cheaper than an SL :D

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
I had a Reba U-Turn 85-115 on my Medium ML for a few months. I recently upgrade to a PIKE, not for the travel, but the thru-axle.

My Reba is a very nice fork, at 115 it seems to have plenty of travel. The U-turn is nice, crank it down on long climbs. I picked mine up on Ebay for $200 used. It's now restless, looking for a good home. Hopefully my son will grow into it soon.

OH, and yeah, the worldcup Reba is ripoff, twice the $$$ for meager weight savings..

·
Registered
14 Posts
necro said:
Thanks for the thoughts guys, a reba team at 115 fixed would be light and reasonably priced. Never having ridden the bike, do those of you that ride with a reba wish you had a revelation for the 130 setting? Is the 115 too short feeling?
I'm coming into this one a little late but you might want a girl's thoughts on this. I had the Reba U-Turn 85-115 on the bike (an XS Motolite) before switching it for a Revelation Air set to 130mm. The taller fork makes it lots easier to lift the front wheel of course and it balances out the bike at the 5" setting. If you go with a lower setting, I think you'd want the 4" travel and to me, that's not what the bike's all about. Just MHO....:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
motomom78 said:
I'm coming into this one a little late but you might want a girl's thoughts on this. I had the Reba U-Turn 85-115 on the bike (an XS Motolite) before switching it for a Revelation Air set to 130mm. The taller fork makes it lots easier to lift the front wheel of course and it balances out the bike at the 5" setting. If you go with a lower setting, I think you'd want the 4" travel and to me, that's not what the bike's all about. Just MHO....:D
Thanks miss 78 :D

We went for the Fox float 130. Old habits die hard, and i've been burned by rockshox in the past. I also figured may as well have the option of a 5 inch fork. I like mine so much...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.