Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Manitou 2002 Black Elite fork and for some reason when I lay the bike upside down to pull the front wheel of the fork oil started pouring out of one of the microports. It never did it before and I never messed with that port it dont look replaceable but I was ondering if there is any fix for this?
Thanks
Jeff

Sent from my Galaxy 3 Tab with Tapatalk.

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
Possibly the damper is leaking into the lower legs. Is it damper side?
It is also possible that someone used oil instead of grease and the grease ports aren't really oil tight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what side is the damper side but its the side with the compression and rebound adjustment. Had the bike for many years and never added any grease or fluid to the fork and it never leaked before. Any thoughts. Im try to find seals and fluid do I could rebuild but im worried about this port.

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
Yes the damper side is the one with the compression and rebound adjuster knobs. It's most likely the stanchion end-cap seal is leaking. The seal in the cap is replaceable, I have a seal and o-ring kit through Shockcraft and Realworldcycling sell a seal as well. The oil is 5wt.

The only trick part is the damper shaft unscrews into the fork lowers. Turn the 8mm hex key clockwise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Dougal iv been looking at RWC for the wiper seals a while ago so I guess ill get the damper seals too.
Do I need a special 5wt or do you think any will work and do I really need prep m for the micro port or could I use wheel bearing grease or white grease? Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
Thanks for the info Dougal iv been looking at RWC for the wiper seals a while ago so I guess ill get the damper seals too.
Do I need a special 5wt or do you think any will work and do I really need prep m for the micro port or could I use wheel bearing grease or white grease? Thanks again for your help

Any good 5wt oil will do.
Prep M or Slick Honey/Slickoleum for the bushings. Wheel bearing grease is too thick and white grease is just rubbish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts