Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't really have any place to ride around where i live. and i don't have much land. so i have to do with what i have. on the jumps i have, i don't get enough speed to get much air. is there a way to increase air without speed and is there a was to get more speed without having a hill to go down? Also, the idea of wood jumps doesn't sit right with me, so are there any tricks to getting a jump to have a good lip? it seems like instead of going up, i just go forward over the lip. One more thing, my fork really sux and i know it needs to be replaced with sumthing alot better, but my fork always compresses alot over jumps. doesn't that my you lose air, how can it be fixxed... is it just that the fork sux or am i doing sumthing wrong?

thanks
andy

G

·
thebikedoctor33 said:
i don't really have any place to ride around where i live. and i don't have much land. so i have to do with what i have. on the jumps i have, i don't get enough speed to get much air. is there a way to increase air without speed and is there a was to get more speed without having a hill to go down? Also, the idea of wood jumps doesn't sit right with me, so are there any tricks to getting a jump to have a good lip? it seems like instead of going up, i just go forward over the lip. One more thing, my fork really sux and i know it needs to be replaced with sumthing alot better, but my fork always compresses alot over jumps. doesn't that my you lose air, how can it be fixxed... is it just that the fork sux or am i doing sumthing wrong?

thanks
andy
to make your jumps send you higher... make them taller with more curve in it to make the lip a higher degree angle.. and j hop off it as well.. should help some

·
where's the kick stand?
674 Posts
ya,steeper lips might help and if u make rithem jumps then steep landings would help u keep speed.you probably just need new springs if thats your only fork problem.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Dig down so that the bottom/landing of each jump is deeper than the one before it. You'll get a net downhill effect even in a flat plot of land.............and pump it!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
thebikedoctor33 said:
it was a trek 4300 disc... now it has xt/xtr, hope minis, panaracer tires, new bars and stem, saddle, ect... next thing i'm getting is a fork... most likely a fox vanilla rlc 125...
buy a real dirt jump hardtail frame and then decide whether its you or the bike thats not jumping well. i think its the trek 4300 more than you thats causing dirt jump issues. and since your having problems why not tell us what your setup is. dh tires or xc? short stem or xc stem? pedals? if the bike is still setup anywhere near the stock 4300 setup you will never jump it anyway.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Your Problem Solver BJ says...

ok...

getting abck on track to the jumps...if you really want your jump to its job and throw u up in the air and i mean literally throw u up...make the wheelbase of the jump longer...the more the jump corrects the angle and path of the bike not only will it become easyer to jump but will feel so much better...so the longer the kicker is...how ever you decide to do it...the better it will be so if you want height make it taller and make a long wheel base so the bikes path is really corrected and makes you go how you want to go...stand back and look at it...look at which direction and the angle the jump will be throwing the bike and correct it how you want...

really think about it...but all i can say is make the wheel base of the jump big...so you can fit the bike on the kicker will room to still roll it up atleast a rotation of your wheels or close to it...

and good luck with em...

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dream4est said:
buy a real dirt jump hardtail frame and then decide whether its you or the bike thats not jumping well. i think its the trek 4300 more than you thats causing dirt jump issues. and since your having problems why not tell us what your setup is. dh tires or xc? short stem or xc stem? pedals? if the bike is still setup anywhere near the stock 4300 setup you will never jump it anyway.
i have panaracer fire mud pros, cuz i have a lot of mud and they shed well, my stem is a problem, its not dh, i think its 110mm or around there, i have platforms with pins. i always have the seat pretty low. i also have a flatbar which could be a problem... when i got the bike i was making it into a xc, now i want to have basic parts that i can switch around before i ride depending on what i'm doing... the frame shouldn't be to bad. i'm not planning on doing huge drops or getting real big air.... for now. depending on how i do and everything i was thinking of getting a p. series for next season.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
if you want to do more dj and stuff i got a great deal for you.

go to www.ridesoul.com an look at the 04 titan frames. if they still have any in stock you should be able to get it for like 170 or 180 i think. but that would be the cheapest and best frame you could get. and while your there, i think they still have hooligan bars and stems in stock. they are great and dirt cheap. get those and put ur stuff on it from the trek. and you have a great fr/dj bike. but if your going to do that make sure u are sponcered before buying.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SamL3227 said:
if you want to do more dj and stuff i got a great deal for you.

go to www.ridesoul.com an look at the 04 titan frames. if they still have any in stock you should be able to get it for like 170 or 180 i think. but that would be the cheapest and best frame you could get. and while your there, i think they still have hooligan bars and stems in stock. they are great and dirt cheap. get those and put ur stuff on it from the trek. and you have a great fr/dj bike. but if your going to do that make sure u are sponcered before buying.
do you have a weight for the frame? cuz i still do some xc riding... also, sponcered? please explain... i'm a newbie...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.