Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the story

Got myself my all new DH bike, made it as silent as I could, moto foam (a la Sam Hill) some velcro for the chain slap (some more Sam Hill).

In the front is a Fox 40 RC2 2008, it felt a little stiff so the spring was changed to a softer one!

Riding it a couple of times without problem, then this knocking sound appeard. I checked the headset, cables anything on the bike untill I realized it came from the left leg of the fork!

The shrinking tube was on the spring when I installed it

This is really annoying as I want it as silent as it can be, im really thankful for all the help I can get!

Thanks!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Ender's got it right. When the spring is compressed, it bows a bit in the middle which causes it to hit the inside of the stanchion. This was happening on my wife's 40 despite the shop saying it had put the shrink wrap stuff on the new spring.

Pull the spring out and make sure the rubber shrink wrap stuff is in the middle of the spring. The easiest way to move it is to turn it on the spring and it'll move up or down depending on which way you're turning the spring. Get it in the center of the spring, reinstall it and voila! My wife's is totally quiet now....thanks to a buddy that helped me figure this out.

EB

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Ender's got it right. When the spring is compressed, it bows a bit in the middle which causes it to hit the inside of the stanchion. This was happening on my wife's 40 despite the shop saying it had put the shrink wrap stuff on the new spring.

Pull the spring out and make sure the rubber shrink wrap stuff is in the middle of the spring. The easiest way to move it is to turn it on the spring and it'll move up or down depending on which way you're turning the spring. Get it in the center of the spring, reinstall it and voila! My wife's is totally quiet now....thanks to a buddy that helped me figure this out.

EB

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do what I did and sell them to buy 2008 888 rc3. was able to get enough money used to buy brand new 2008 888's. So tired of the up keep the fox 40 requires. No regrets at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sound first appeard when I compressed the fork, then it went silent again.

Now it is silent when I compress the fork, but when I move the bike around I can hear it!

Gonna open it up today, and check things out..........was thinking about this moto foam idea, putting small stripes of it and then some shrinking tube over half the surface of the moto foam leaving some of it to handle any noise and some kept in place by the shrinking tube.

Don´t wanna open up my fork every week or hear that noise all the time!

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
ltsltr said:
Do what I did and sell them to buy 2008 888 rc3. was able to get enough money used to buy brand new 2008 888's. So tired of the up keep the fox 40 requires. No regrets at all.
Great choice to sell the wounderful and light (relativly) 40 to get one of the heaviest forks on the market today. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.