Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general what is the best set up for a light weight rider 130 lbs. I ride simple single track and fire roads, not aggessive. I like to stay in control and not tear up trails, I like to flow not thrash through a trail. Specifically how should I set up rebound damping and preload adjustment? I want the smoothest possible ride. How much should I dial the plus and minus of the settings? How do the two settings relate to each other while riding? If it matters the fork in question is Manitou Mars. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Grindmonkey7 said:
In general what is the best set up for a light weight rider 130 lbs. I ride simple single track and fire roads, not aggessive. I like to stay in control and not tear up trails, I like to flow not thrash through a trail. Specifically how should I set up rebound damping and preload adjustment? I want the smoothest possible ride. How much should I dial the plus and minus of the settings? How do the two settings relate to each other while riding? If it matters the fork in question is Manitou Mars. Thank you very much.
The shocks forum or Manitou manual or web site will probably have very specific info, but....

The general rule for about every suspension item I've had or worked on is 20-25% sag, and if there's a curb in front of your home you have a perfect place to test your settings rebound. I don't mean to be short or smug here, but there are many bits of web and print content on this where you'll be reading stuff written by pros and/or proof read by pros.

From your description I think you want your fork and tires all setup for plush riding. Lower pressure in tires will give comfort and control and same for setting up your fork a bit softer - especially so with your light weight and riding fire roads. Softer tires will conform to gravel and loose stuff instead of spit stones sideways.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.