Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if someone can give me some advice on components for my new bike build, I recently got a 2005 FSR SJ120 frame and am porting over as many parts as I can from my old 2001 Rockhopper FSR, One of the components I would like to replace is the fork as my current one doesn't have much travel (80mm or so i'm guessing). I think have narrowed down the options to the following:

Manitou Minute 2 Oe
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK402A20-Manitou+Minute+2+Oe.aspx

Marzocchi MX Comp Eta/Tas 100/120 '06
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK503A21-Marzocchi+Mx+Comp+Etatas+100120+06.aspx

also I spotted this one:
Marzocchi Am 2 '06
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK501A02-Marzocchi+Am+06.aspx

I am really leaning towards the Minute 2 does anyone know anything about these forks? I am about 210lbs and ride what would be best described as agressive XC, I tend to go through more obstacles than I avoid :)

Also if anyone has a good recommendation for a BB/crankset for this bike I would greatly appreciate it, Specialized site lists a 68x118mm with 50mm chainline but I find a lot online that are 68x113mm and 68x121(?) would these BB's also fit?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another suggestion...

If I could add another choice to your list: the Rock Shox Revelation

I had a Minute 2 on my 05 SJ Sworks and ended up sending back to Manitou 3 times through my shop. In the end, they gave up and said they'd replace it. I told the shop I just didn't trust it any more and wanted to swap out for a Revelation they had on the peg board. When the new one came in, they gave me the Revelation with pop-lock and I haven't looked back.

The Rev is buttery smooth and stiff with 32mm stanchions. I've got the compression and blow off set up so that I run it "locked" most of the time. It will compress when I hit something hard and soaks up smaller stuff while being bob- free. When I'm hitting a nasty decent, I can unlock and it gets nice and plush. The Minute w/SPV never worked as well, either suffering from brake dive or bobbing too much other times. Also, I don't think the Minute was nearly as stiff. And the Rev weighs in at just over 3.5 lbs, about the same weight as the Minute. A better fork by every measure IMHO.

punga!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
punga said:
If I could add another choice to your list: the Rock Shox Revelation

I had a Minute 2 on my 05 SJ Sworks and ended up sending back to Manitou 3 times through my shop. In the end, they gave up and said they'd replace it. I told the shop I just didn't trust it any more and wanted to swap out for a Revelation they had on the peg board. When the new one came in, they gave me the Revelation with pop-lock and I haven't looked back.

The Rev is buttery smooth and stiff with 32mm stanchions. I've got the compression and blow off set up so that I run it "locked" most of the time. It will compress when I hit something hard and soaks up smaller stuff while being bob- free. When I'm hitting a nasty decent, I can unlock and it gets nice and plush. The Minute w/SPV never worked as well, either suffering from brake dive or bobbing too much other times. Also, I don't think the Minute was nearly as stiff. And the Rev weighs in at just over 3.5 lbs, about the same weight as the Minute. A better fork by every measure IMHO.

punga!
Cool thanks for the info, I know the guy I bought the frame from was running a Revelation however it was beyond the budget I was looking to spend, Do you know anything about the Tora http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK405A11-Rock+Shox+Tora+302+Coil+U-Turn+Fork+07.aspx ?

also Do you know if your Minute was a 05 or 06?

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
I'd say skip the Manitou, as I had one for a while and it sucked. It was stiction city plus leaked oil, and was not plush at all. I also have the Marz MX Comp on my beater bike and it is heavy plus the ETA doesn't work, the damping sucks as well. I have a Fox Float 130 RLC on mine and it works well. I would also think about the Revelation as well as it gets prettty good reviews.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Unknownrash said:
I'd say skip the Manitou, as I had one for a while and it sucked. It was stiction city plus leaked oil, and was not plush at all. I also have the Marz MX Comp on my beater bike and it is heavy plus the ETA doesn't work, the damping sucks as well. I have a Fox Float 130 RLC on mine and it works well. I would also think about the Revelation as well as it gets prettty good reviews.
I had a 100mm Minute 2 (2004-model) on my FSR04 which was good, SPV worked as expected. I did start too leak a bit after one and a half year but I guess that's too be expected since I never did any maintenance on it.

I have replaced it by a Fox Talas RL (2006) because I wanted a stiffer fork (even though I'm only 165lbs). My bike only offers 100mm rear travel, so running the fork at 130mm is a bit too much but it does offer a nice slacker head-angle at 120mm.

In your case I would definitely go for an on-the-fly adjustable fork (between 100 and 130 or 140mm) such as the Fork Talas and Rock Shox Revelation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I really wanted to get the Fox fork but the prices are just too high on them for now, I'm thinkin that no matter what I get it will be better than my old Manitou, I think it's a 'Six' thats whats on the arch at least from 01 or so.

I've noticed in the Description of the 06 Minute that it has 32mm tubes and used TPC vs SPV would these correct some of the issues people have been seeing with the older 05 model?

·
Registered
75 Posts
my ¢2 worth...

at0m!

Hey man, I've got an '05 FSR Stumpy S-works 120 and I'm running an '05 Marzocchi AM1 on it... SUPER plush and it's been reliable. I'm still working on tuning it in, but overall Marz forks have been great for me (3rd bike with them on!)...

I can also recommend this guy... http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdown_shift_cycleQQhtZ-1

He is who I purchased the AM1 through and he was honest, fast, and good priced.

The AM2 I think would be a great pick for you... also consider a Marathon series fork. I've got a '04 Marathon S on my Single Speed and it has been excellent!

sengert.

PS. I've never ridden a Manitou fork, so I can't make a comparison.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts