Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Personally I don't do anything special for riding as far as food goes, if it's a big ride I'll have a filling meal about 2 hours before riding. I keep some snacks (usually some sort of energy bar, a gel, and some trail mix) in my bag but more for emergency or very long rides (more than 4 hours) or bonking friends. Once in a while I take a nice sandwich for a leisurely picnic, don't really like to have a freshly filled stomach while riding. I drink water during rides, maybe a juice or beer if I picnic.

Now post-ride, that's when the real food and beer comes in....

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I generally eat two eggs before I go out riding, or oatmeal. That's just what I've found to be convenient and to work for me. That's usually about 2 hours before the ride. On the drive to the trails, I'll eat a cliff bar and drink a bottle of cytomax.

I think a big part of pre-ride nutrition is finding something that you like, is convenient for you, and that keeps you comfortable. For example, I used to always feel sick at the start of a ride, and I found out it was from drinking caffeine on the way to the trails. I cut that out and it's been great ;)

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
chinese take-out washed down with two or three beers.

remember that the whisky food group is also important in your diet and you take in at least three or four servings/shots a day.

racing hung over really adds a new dimension to your rides. takes about 3-4 miles and half of a camelbak to get out the initial retching.

·
Registered
269 Posts
multi-grain carbs, like bagels or English muffins and oatmeal take longer to digest, so they tend to keep you fuller, longer and they keep giving you energy to burn as it digests. Adding a couple of eggs for protein is giving your muscles a boost to prevent them from tiring as quickly. Afterward, a glass of chocolate milk is supposed to be the right mix of protein, carbs and sugars to help with recovery., or so I've been told by a nutritionist.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Oatmeal is the winner for me. About an hour before ride time, I'll have a bowl with a piece of whole-wheat toast. On the way to the trail, I'll have a Clif Builder's Bar for some additional carbs, but mostly for the protein. If it's not a morning ride, I'll usually go with the PB&J sandwich and the builder's bar. If I ride a long time (over 3 hours), I'll usually take some sort of energy bar just in case. I've heard PayDay candy bars are good low-buck energy bars, so I may try that next time.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Pre-ride, anything with carbs and some fat is good. Stay away from a lot of dairy and meat as it won't digest well. Don't eat too soon before riding, say no sooner than an hour and a half. Having said that, I''m a complete food swine, and will gorge especially if it is tasty, the night before a big ride.

Drew

·
Registered
165 Posts
Toasted PB&J, cereal, and protein shake consumed an hour prior to riding. Depending on the cereal, that is approx 900 calories and a mix of carbs, protein, and fat.

If going on a 20+ mile ride, I'll also take a 450 calorie meal replacement bar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.