Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a rebuild kit for my egbeater 3.
Removing the old bearings, with new cartridge and needle bearing went with no problem, but when I reassemble the pedals I run into problems.

When I insert the axle/spindle it is like it goes to far into the pedal body. If I tighten the 8mm nut with the axle pushed all the way in, the axle is almost to tight to turn, and the end of the axle i sticking 3-4mm out of the other end.
If I choose not to tighten the nut all the way I get 5-7mm play between the axle and the pedal body. The play can be removed when I insert the end caps (the end cap is pushing the axle back - But I doubt that is the right way to do it.

Have I done something wrong (maybe put in the needle bearing to far, allowing the axle to go in to far?) or am I missing something?

Christian

·
Registered
38 Posts
If it helps, that's how mine are.
I noticed some side to side play, checked the cap and it was loose. Tightened and all good now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just did my first EB 3 rebuild and ran into the same thing. I was like wtf? This can't be right. I took the cap off the other one and was able to get it to move as well. I guess that's how they are supposed to be???

Seems like a poor design.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,684 Posts
You're not going to Sea Otter by any chance, are you? Crankbrothers has a slew of guys there just to rebuild their pedals.

It's free, but Tipping is NOT a city in China. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts