Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Im doing research on dropper posts and trying to find out the best one for me and my bike. I have never had a dropper post before so want to get it right first time.

The bike i have is a Specialized Rock Hopper 29er 2016.

I like the look of the X-Fusion Manic and would like the 150mm drop.

Now im not sure if this dropper can be put onto this bike because its an internal routed cable type. Don't really want to drill holes.

Any help would be great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did have a search and they don’t seem very reliable according to mtbr reviews and numerous other threads on the dropper.

Reviews on chain reaction and other cycling stores rate it very highly.

That’s why I asked. :)

May need to look at other droppers.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have been running a reverb b1 (albeit stealth) for 3 seasons and bought it used (2 seasons). works fine. Only dropper I've ever used so nothing to compare to

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have been running a reverb b1 (albeit stealth) for 3 seasons and bought it used (2 seasons). works fine. Only dropper I've ever used so nothing to compare to
My bike came stock with one, and haven't been able to get it to work properly. It got stuck down during a ride, I brought it home and bled it out, and took it out for another ride only to have it fail after about 5 uses, 5 miles back in the woods. Rebled it at home, and same thing happened to me...3 more times. Any advice or personal experience of this happening?

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
All dropper posts are relatively unreliable compared to just about any other part of the bike.

There is little to no correlation between cost and reliability.

With the above in mind, the main consideration with a dropper is how easy it is to fix when it inevitably goes kabluey. Can you fix it yourself or does it need special tools? Can your local shop fix it? How easy is it to get parts and are they expensive?

Damage limitation is the name of the game with droppers.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Brand-X on sale now and $20 off $100. And $10 off new users. Not sure if you can combine them all but it does make it attractive. The only thing holding me back from getting one is that it is not serviceable. So basically you have 2 years of use (under warranty replacement) then disposable. Unless they can be serviced by other manufacturers' parts?

I'm thinking about picking up a Giant dropper as it comes with a 2x lever, serviceable, priced about the same as a Brand-X (after shipping to Canada and a 3rd party 2x lever) and there is a Giant showroom store near my work.

Anyone riding one of the newer Giant droppers?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered the Brand-X Ascend II. Its got a good review and at that price i could'nt not get it. I might upgrade the lever to a better one as i've read many reviews saying its not that good.

I went for the 150mm drop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I installed my Brand-X Ascend ll dropper post over the weekend. Very nice bit of kit, looks well made. Took about 30 minutes to fit, pretty straight forward. Nice smooth action when the lever is pressed. I had to install the lever facing upwards just to get it on due to my gear levers. Taking it out on the trail wednesday for it first outing. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.