Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a brand new jamis durango 1.0 about a year ago and have had to take it to the bike shop over five times to fix the stupid shimano tektro disk brakes that came with it. when ever the brakes get wet the pads dont grab anymore. after i clean the pads and diskes with alcohol and scrub the disks with fine steel wool. that makes them alot better, but they still never grab like they did before they got messed up. i would really apreceate it if some one would help me out with this. also, whats some routine maintenece that u guys do to your brakes.

Thanx

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
maybe look for avid bb5 on ebay.... I have been prices around $80 for the set (which is pretty good)

you could look at used one for even less... there isn't much that goes wrong with the BB5 or BB7s so used ones could do the job well too..

·
Banned
462 Posts
You could've got 2006 BB7 from cambria for $49 each a few weeks ago not sure if that deal is still around, but they're probably the best mechanical brakes out. You could save a little on the BB5's but say spend a little more and get the 7's

·
Registered
233 Posts
Same side of the fence

with XSL & Crisillo, but I think I may have another idear (and a bit cheaper to boot). You say the brakes work fine but then they get wet and BPTTTTHHHHHTTT! no brake, right? I bet they've got an organic pad compound which typically doesn't work all that hot in wet conditions. I think you should fire off an email to EBC, Kool Stop, Aztec, & Jagwire to see if they make a semi metallic pad or full sintered metallic for your caliper. Just have the make & model name of the caliper handy. If so, Woo Hoo! If not, craptacular. Time to put in some extra hours somewhere til you can afford the BB5's or 7's.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
jeffscott said:
If he has shimano levers, then he could get XTR calipers for $79.00 and hose ends for oh $10.00 each.
Mechanical... Not hydraulic... Shimano does make both you know... And they are not compatible with DOT based systems like the Tektro hydraulic.

If he doesn't have the money for BB5s or BB7s, I hardly think he has the money for XTRs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have replaced the pads before, same problem. i figured out that after a while of riding they get alot better, but are never the same as they were at the beginnig.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.