Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new rider that is overweight and out of shape but I am loving the hell out of riding. I have a POS FS from Walmart now looking for something a little better the bike shops i have gone to around here I guess look at me like a retard cause their customer service has sucked I am a poor firefighter looking to spend about 700-900 dollars can anyone give me some suggestions on bikes to look at? Pricepoint has a Sette XC2 FS for 700 is this any good? Help from experienced riders much welcomed thanks so much in advanced of hopefully some awesome help!!!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
In the $700-$900 price range, you should really be looking at a hardtail (front shock only). Full suspension bikes in this price range tend to have much lower end parts than would be considered durable. Not sure why your not getting much customer service, but if your asking for a full suspension in that price range, they should be steering you to a hardtail.

If you want to order online, consider BikesDirect or Ibex

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
What about the suspension? And wheels?
Depending on your (over?) weight, you might have difficulties getting the suspension adjusted right. A hardtail would limit that issue to the front end of the bike, and probably still give you better quality, over-all, than a FS bike of similar cost.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Whitedog said:
Actually the Sette surprisingly comes pretty well equiped. Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes, Sram X.7 trigger shifters, X.7 rear derailleur, 9 speed 11-34 cassette, Truvativ crank are components you usually see on $1500 bikes.
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...tte-XC-2D-Full-Suspension-Bike-W/-Sram-X7.htm

Much better equipped than similarly priced FS bikes from bikesdirect or ibex.
I really thought this bike was a smoking deal on the specail sale that ends Dec 31
However, there is a shipping charge and I can not figure out which Crank, Frt Der, Bar, Stem, Post, or the Wheel specs - Maybe there are detail specs somewhere that I am missing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well im 6' 265 I was thinking of going with a hardtail but my buddy rides a giant rincon hardtail and he tells me that i really want a full suspension i dont know if he really has a clue cause he just got started not to long ago also any help would be appreciated

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Knowing your height...I would recommend this bike, I know first hand because I own one.

Windsor Cliff 29er Pro

29ers roll over obstacles much better than a 26er and still give you the Hardtail efficiency. Plus the fork is very adjustable air fork so you can continue to use it as you drop weight, without having to buy new springs (which your going to need to do on the Sette fork).

For comparison, I am 6' and between 210 and 225 (depending on the time of year)

·
I like bacon... (clyde)
351 Posts
My two 1/100's of $1...

If you are overweight and out of shape, you're looking for something that will get you started on real MTBing and help you shed the pounds over a few years of riding. Don't try to get something high performance at this point because it really won't be worth it until you get into decent riding shape (at your height, depending on muscle volume, you probably need to drop 40-60 lbs. I'm assuming at least "decent" on the muscle mass since you are a fire fighter). Go to the bike shop and get fitted on a decent entry level hardtail, around $500. Then start saving for something $1000+ for when you get into shape.

I am 5' 9" and 210 lbs, down from 225 lbs when I started riding in July. I still need to drop at least 30 more before I'm satisfied. Some may say that at my height, I should go for lighter than that but due to my body type and muscle mass I feel it is a good weight.

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Take a look at this Iron Horse MKIII http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Horse-MKIII-Trail-All-Mountain?sc=19&category=55 The bike is priced at $1099, but Randall Scott is offering 25% off all Iron Horse bikes + free shipping. Which will give you a full suspension, trail bike for under $900.00. Iron Horse bikes put out quality products for the price. Don't believe what others post about the brand. Yes Iron Horse sell low quality bikes at REI, but their high end bikes are quality made. The frames are over built and will support a heavy set guy. Why am I hyping the MKIII? Because I believe that saying $3500 is the sweep spot for a mountain bike is irresponsible in this economy. I shouldn't have to pay over $3,000.00 for a 'quality' full suspension mountain bike. I have owned my MKIII since 2006 and have not had any frame issues.

·
Hoosier
442 Posts
For a first bike I would strongly suggest buying from an LBS. Unless you can find a way to test ride online bikes. Fit is the most important thing and will make all the difference in your selection. Also, noone ever needs a full suspension bike, it is all preference. For your price range you will not be able to even find a FS at all from most retailers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.