Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm redoing my old school hardrock to be a burly drop taking machine. I just bought a singletrack wheelset, some new brake levers, and a single speed kit to convert the geared Hardrock to the almight SS. I'm looking to really spice it up and do a custom paint job. Nothing to fancy but I had a few questions. What would be the best spray paint to use? I'm looking probably for something thats not going to run horrible and is going to look decent. Also, can I paint over my existing paint job or should I go through the trouble to sand it all down and then paint it? I'm open to any suggestions. I'm thinking of going with a black down tube and half top tube and a lime green swingarms and remaining top tube. Put some a custom graphics kit and I think it'll turn out sick.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You definitely need to sand the frame before you paint it, otherwise the paint will never stick. This is a job that requires a lot of time a patience. I've got an old diamondback frame that has been going through this process for about 3 months now (mainly b/c I don't have the patience to do it all at once). When painting it, make sure to use a primer (several coats), then put 4 or 5 coats of your paint on, then your decals and finally, a couple coats of clearcoat. I did an old manitou fork recently and used the most expensive paint wal-mart had, and clearcoated it and it turned out great. Just make sure you don't try to put too much on at once, you've got to be patient, and sand with fine sand paper between coats. If its an old rigid frame, maybe practice on the fork before working on the frame. Good luck, and post some pics when you're done.

Here's a couple of threads:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=248635&highlight=rattle+can

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=203186&highlight=rattle+can

·
Registered
243 Posts
Or you could take it to an auto paint/powdercoat facility and have it chemically stripped/bead blasted. It might cost $50, but it's a heck of a lot easier.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it

So I did a little asking around and found a guy in the town I work who does powdercoating and only charges 40 bucks to do it. Alls I have to do is bring it to him raw. He suggested this paint remover spray at O'Reileys. I saw a road bike he did at one of the lbs. It was an old cannodale but it was slick. It looked like he did an excellent job. And he has over 30 colors to choose from. My frame has nicks and whatnot on it and I was wondering if this chemical paint remover will damage it at all? I didnt think so but just wandering...

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
Five minutes and a can - result - no paint, shiny metal frame.
Days with sanding - result - small areas in corners still covered and huge blisters.

Aircraft Paint Remover at any good autoparts store. I sanded a motorcycle gas tank for days, then got the super toxic stuff I mentioned and 30min later I had a shiny unscratched metal tank, ready for paint! You'll need it eventually, so go for it first.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
For my frame, I just took it to a local sandblaster and powdercoater and they painted it for $40 (I just took whatever paint they had in the can-they were painting white fences so I ended up with a white frame). They masked the headtube, bb and seat tube as best they can but I still re-reamed and re-faced afterwards...

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i used aircraft remover to take the paint off of my old steel frame.

then used duplicolor primer and 2 cans of a gray/green color with a top clearcoat on it (got them all at pep-boys automotive for less than $20).

i'm sorry i don't have a better pic of it right now....but it came out rather nicely. just wait until it's warm enough for the paint to stick well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.