Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem with front and rear brakes, and its a bit pressing becaues I need to fix it tomorrow during my lunch break if my trip plans this weekend are to go smoothly. I've only bled brakes a couple of times a year ago, so I'm no expert.

In the rear I've got a problem because I didn't have a wheel installed (getting rebuilt), and didn't have a little stopper in there, and in my tiredness I squeezed the wrong lever a few times after I worked on the front brake and now the rear caliper is clamped shut. WIll a regular bleed fix this? The bike was upright when I was doing the sqeezing, if it matters.

On the front brake I put in new pads and now have total dragging. I'm wondering if its because I did it while the bike was upside down (I don't have a proper stand...getting one). I was careful not to sqeeze the lever while the bike was upside down. I tried to reset the pistons while the pads were out but they seemed to be resisting. I could take out the new pads and put the heavily worn pads back in, but would a bleed fix it? They also have a mushy engagement, so I'm guessing the answer is a bleed in this case.

On top of all this I can't find my bled kit (but I did find my fluid). My shop probably has one on hand so I'm not totally worried about this part. Given serious time constraints I'm posting before I go to bed asking for any pointers...I'm not feeling I've done very well for myself this evening, so a little zzz will hopefully help.

Thanks,
Kcavt

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
the mushiness at the lever indicates that a bleed might be needed..... the other problems are just a matter of resetting the pistons and making sure the come/come out evenly

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crisillo said:
the mushiness at the lever indicates that a bleed might be needed..... the other problems are just a matter of resetting the pistons and making sure the come/come out evenly
How do I reset the pistons? I put a tire lever in there and pressed pretty hard...not sure how I can get more leverage.

Thanks,
Kcavt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.