Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get clip-in pedals. I'm up for double the power per revolution but I'm not so sure about getting out of them quickly. I also know I need shoes but I can base it off the clips I get. I was thinking about the Shimano PD-M520L. Would this be a good pair to start on? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Shimanos are good pedals.
They do make a difference. Back in the 90's, my dad started on a pair of Ritchey clipless. He fell over all the time and had a bear of a time.
We finally sold them, and he got a pair of Shimano M747's. He suddenly became an expert at clipless on the mountains.
Make sure your shoes do not interfere with the pedals as well, but most will not.

Just be sure to practice in the back yard, and make sure you adjust the release tension to very low. It will take a little while to learn, but once you do, clipping out will become completely natural.

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
I want to get clip-in pedals. I'm up for double the power per revolution but I'm not so sure about getting out of them quickly. I also know I need shoes but I can base it off the clips I get. I was thinking about the Shimano PD-M520L. Would this be a good pair to start on? Thanks!
Go for the 540s and the multi release cleats. M56, I believe. They release in five directions. What I use. Panic situation: your shoes pop out. Just riding along: no accidental release.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,364 Posts
Go for the 540s and the multi release cleats.
Why? I have two sets of 520s. They weigh within 60-80 grams of the XTR ones. The 520s are great pedals. The 540s are nice, but no real reason to get them over the 520s, which you can get for around $35 online.

·
Registered
978 Posts
There are two kinds of Shimano SPD clips: Single release (black) that require the heel be rotated to the outside and Multiple release cleats (gold) that also let go upwards and combos of sideways and upwards. The multiple releases are much more forgiving but lots of hot bikers don't use them because they make bunny hopping more difficult. I use the multiple release ones myself. The single release come with the pedals so you have to buy the multiple release separately.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Why? I have two sets of 520s. They weigh within 60-80 grams of the XTR ones. The 520s are great pedals. The 540s are nice, but no real reason to get them over the 520s, which you can get for around $35 online.
If anything, the 540 can be overhauled without a special tool.

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
Rode 520s for three years and although they we're bomb-proof mechanically, I didn't like the float and they could be tricky to get into if you had to get in on a techy section of trail. I also fell over b/c I couldn't up clip fast enough one time and injured myself pretty good. From a service perspective, they were stupid-easy to re-grease and service but they did require the special Shimano pedal tool. I switched to Candy 2s and so far am pretty happy. I would only recommend them today if that's what your budget is.

Sent from the trails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts