Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Giant Ranier hardtail came with Mavic X139 rims mounted on no-name hubs. The freehub in the rear wheel has always "ran-out" causing the cassette to also "run-out" when the wheel is spinning. I've had a LBS look at the freehub and they said when it goes just get a new wheelset. I am considering an XT hub on Mavic XM321 rims at Jensen:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH608A01-Shimano+Xt+Discxm321+Wheels.aspx

Are these any good? Looking for a good compromise between durability and weight. I don't do any crazy drops and mostly XC all mountain stuff.

Thanks,

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Not familiar with the term "run-out"/"ran-out" in terms of your freehub mechanism, nor how that does anything to the cassette. Can you explain what you mean by that? The XM321 (formerly F219) rims I've used for years, kinda heavy for regular xc use but very durable. The XT hub is good but might need to be checked to make sure it's properly lubed from the start (there's some history with that).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "run-out" of the free hub and cassette means that when the rear wheel is spinning, the cassette actually moves up and down with each rotation. It is more noticable on the smaller sprockets of the cassette being farther from the free-hub bearing. Occationally I get some noise from the free hub at higher speeds as well.

Other people have also mentioned that the XM321 rims might be a bit heavy for XC and they recommended the Mavic XC717 (old X317). These are a bit lighter. I usually run Panaracer Fire XC 2.1's. Will a 2.1 fit well on a XC717 (17mm wide rim)?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
toutarj said:
Other people have also mentioned that the XM321 rims might be a bit heavy for XC and they recommended the Mavic XC717 (old X317). These are a bit lighter. I usually run Panaracer Fire XC 2.1's. Will a 2.1 fit well on a XC717 (17mm wide rim)?
How big are you and how do you ride? XC717 and the XC 2.1's are a good match but the 717 is a very light rim which is fine if not too heavy or hard on wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am 5' 9" about 190 lbs. I ride mostly XC all mountain. No real drops, but do go through some rock gardens. A lot of folks have recommended to go with XT hubs, but just not sure what style rims to match up. Many recommmend staying under 2000g for a hardtail bike like my Giant Ranier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.