Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a rear derailleur and shifter on ebay and the seller threw in a cassette. I didn't plan on useing it at first but after some cleaning I realized its actually in really good shape. Its a 9 sp 11-34 but it didn't include a lockring and I'm not sure what type/model it is. The derailluer and shifter are SRAM so I'm guessing the cassette is too but don't know for sure. Are there any markings that I can look for to try to figure out what it is? Are lockrings really that specific anyways? Thanks

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
Lockrings are manufacturer and small cog specific.

Post a picture up of the cassette. Do a front and back.

·
Broke college student
183 Posts
Pretty sure it's a SRAM PG-950
Here

And it may just be the pic, but it kinda looks like the teeth are pretty worn. If you're running it with a new chain you'll have shifting problems and your chain will wear faster. If it's new, then I'd say you have yourself a cassette. I used that cassette for a while. Shifts pretty well if you have your derailleur set up well, but it is heavy. I swapped to a PG-990 out of weight considerations. Hope this answers all your questions!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
frdfandc said:
Lockrings are manufacturer and small cog specific.

Post a picture up of the cassette. Do a front and back.
I swap cassette lockrings between brands all the time. Not usually a problem.

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
shiggy said:
I swap cassette lockrings between brands all the time. Not usually a problem.

I do agree that usually its not an issue, but I ran into a couple that wouldn't work. Installing the matching manufacturer's ring solved the issue. So sometimes is easier just to get the correct one.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
frdfandc said:
I do agree that usually its not an issue, but I ran into a couple that wouldn't work. Installing the matching manufacturer's ring solved the issue. So sometimes is easier just to get the correct one.
Or just try the ones you have before you make a search for the "correct" lockring.
Much faster and easier than running around looking for something you did not really need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts