Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am close to completing my first build project and i am having some second thoughts about the derailleur cable housings i chose. i was going to go with Red Nokon aluminum housings, but the more i hear about them, the more trouble i find they create. my paint job is not baked on and therefore not super durable. i am not sure i want to go thru many protective measures just to protect the paint (clear tubes that eventually yellow, carbon fiber stickers, etc.), when the aluminum housings will eventually discolor themselves.

this may just be attributed to my general anxiety, being that it is my first full build. any recommendations on other cable housings (preferably fully covered) would be very much appreciated. here is the link to my build, so you can see what i am working with.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=256902

i live in washington, which means constant wet weather, so i am going for durability and functionality. thanks in advance.

James

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I would recommend going with full-length housing - if you don't want to go fancy like Nokon, then any old housing will do fine. I run Flak Jackets full-length, but I had bought the FJ sets before I decided to drill out my guides and do the full-length thing. In the future, I just plan to replace the housings with regular ol' cheap housing. The Flak Jacket housing is great and all, but isn't really all that much more special in a full-length set-up (looks cool, but is overkill).

You don't have to drill out the guides to go full-length, there are other options to do it gracefully without hacking on your bike. If you do a search, you find lots of ideas on here.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
have you had any problems with the flak jackets breaking open? i have heard stories about the kevlar wires coming out of the housing.

i still have the teflon inner liner from my nokons, could i run that underneath the flak jackets (or between ferules)?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I haven't had the FJs on for very long yet, so I can't comment on long-term durability. I know some of people who have crimped the ferrules onto the housings, but I haven't done that. With a full-length set-up, I don't anticipate having and issues with housing fray, but I guess time will tell.

I use teflon cables (no lubes whatsoever) with my FJs; IIRC, the FJ sets will come with non-teflon cable (which is perfectly fine too). Be aware that if you are interested in running something like FJs (by that I mean, buying a cable "set"), you may not get enough outer housing to do a bike in just one package. For instance, one package of Flak Jacket derailleur cables won't give you enough outer housing to do both the front derailleur and rear derailluer full-length. I have a 1x9 drivetrain, so that worked out OK for me. On the other hand, there was enough outer housing in the FJ brake cable package to do both my front and rear mech disc brakes full-length.

I'm not familiar with the Nokon system enough to know what you mean by the "teflon inner liner", so I can't advise on what to do with that. If you desire having a sealed cable system but don't want to run full-length housings or do Nokons, Avid FJs are (arguably) the next best / most popular choice.

Cheers, Chris

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Just go for full regular housing. It's almost as durable as all that fancy expensive stuff, and it also makes installation easier; just duct-tape your housing to the shifter so it stays put for a second, route the housing, cut to fit and thread the cable through. No stupid messing around with different sections of housing. I spent the last 6 months in Hawaii running full shifter housing, and didn't have to re-cable once.

·
Registered
23 Posts
sealed cables

I've always had good luck with sealed cable systems, they seem to last at least a year, often 2. I used to run Gore Cables but now that they are hard to find I have been buying sealed cable sets from a small company in Mass called Dry Cables. Dry Cables are similar to the old Gore cables but with a few small improvements. You may want to check them out, I think the link is www.drycables.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.