Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm looking to build a new hardtail and want to got 2 x 9 or 2 x 10 for the drive train. Has anyone done this and what's the best way to do it?
I'm going to be using one of the FSA K-force lite carbon cranks (44/29) , ideally XTR rear mech/shifter. I've been told that there is a Saint double front mech and shifter that would work too..

Any help greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Steve

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It sounds like you're there already, and I don't see where your problem lies. Anything that would work on a triple would also work on a double.

Depending on your cassette you might have the option of using a shorter cage RD. Check the total take up capacity needed and compare that to available RD specs.

To figure the capacity add the difference in the chainring teeth (15t in your example) to the difference largest to smallest on the cassette (32-12 = 20t) so a 29/44 compact with 12-32 cassette would need an RD with 35t of capacity.

As long as you stay within brand you won't have any issues with shifter/derailleur compatibility, but some brand mixing is also possible.

Lastly, consider if you might not prefer to use a triple crank, so you have the option of using the outer position for a bashguard, though your stated preference is certainly OK.

·
Registered
454 Posts
FBinNY said:
It sounds like you're there already, and I don't see where your problem lies. Anything that would work on a triple would also work on a double.

Depending on your cassette you might have the option of using a shorter cage RD. Check the total take up capacity needed and compare that to available RD specs.

To figure the capacity add the difference in the chainring teeth (15t in your example) to the difference largest to smallest on the cassette (32-12 = 20t) so a 29/44 compact with 12-32 cassette would need an RD with 35t of capacity.

As long as you stay within brand you won't have any issues with shifter/derailleur compatibility, but some brand mixing is also possible.

Lastly, consider if you might not prefer to use a triple crank, so you have the option of using the outer position for a bashguard, though your stated preference is certainly OK.
Exactly! Id highly recommend getting a medium cage der if you can swing it. Shifts better, less to catch on something and looks better. See the sticky at the top of this forum. Shimano states 33T capacity for their medium cage but they are conservative and you might be able to get away with it. Have you thought about 1x9? I was 2x9 and went to 1x9 and it rocks! Cheapest way to knock a pound off your bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.