Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new Trek Top Fuel 9.8 on Wed. Went out for the 1st ride on Thursday night and when your not pedaling it has a very loud and annoying squaling in the back brake. We loosened it up, recentered it and it worked fine for about 5 miles the started back in even louder. Has the XT's on it. Any suggestions....1st time with hydraulics, didnt know if it takes time for them to break in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My fuel EX8 has been doing it for 2 years. I even put new Formula Oro's on it (thinking it was the Avid's), different pads, discs, etc..... I have even took the caliper apart and cleaned it up and lubed it thinking it was a sticky puck. I think it has something to do with the new Trek design. When you figure it out let me know.

Bob

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
thedawg28 said:
I'll figure it out or I wont have it very long!!! I go to the trail for peace and quiet.....Im not listening to that crap!!!
One ride and your whining you need a new bike with no brakes Oh wait the free wheel makes noise. :madman: Dont ride you'll be better off. :thumbsup:

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
It could be you need to clean your brakes with alcohol, it could be you got oil on the pads, or on the rotor and then it went on the pads when you braked.
The internet is not a bike mechanic. If you've got a lot of time on your hands you can try suggestions people post here, but it would be a whole lot faster to go to your bike shop.

Maybe you're on a trip far away from where you bought the bike, but you've got internet.

If your bike shop can't help you, then find one who can.

As posted in a thread somewhere else tonight any bike shop that can't resolve these types of common disc brake issues needs to get out of the bike business.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all dogon dumbass.....I was kidding!!!! I just paid over 4500 for a something without a motor on it. Id think when you ride it you wouldnt have to listen to the annoying squal!!! Im sure I will get it figured out.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
thedawg28 said:
First of all dogon dumbass.....I was kidding!!!! I just paid over 4500 for a something without a motor on it. Id think when you ride it you wouldnt have to listen to the annoying squal!!! Im sure I will get it figured out.
:lol: Price doesnt matter and you are the motor. :thumbsup:

As mentioned twice now it could be contamination and or break in. If your not sure your LBS Im sure would be glad to assist as dusthuffer suggested. :rockon:

·
Mac & Jacks African Amber
103 Posts
I Love This Forum

I am persuaded that hydraulic disc brakes for bikes are an art form and not a science like one would first assume. I wish that there was a moderator on this forum that had a whole lot of trouble-shooting experience that COULD offer on-line "internet" suggestions/advice.

I would prefer to learn to resolve as many maintenance issues with my bike as possible as opposed to having to rely on my "LBS" all the time. It's not energy effiencet having to drive up there ;) .

I would assume that a "squal" implies that there is some constant contact between brake pads and rotor. As such, I am thinking you need to remove the wheel, use a sreader to full compress the pads/caliper pistons back into the body and re-insatll the wheel. Also, what about pad contact adjustment? Does the XT have a in/out pad contact adjustment dial similar to higher-end Avid brakes?

Also, maybe Shimano has a "Service or Trouble-shooting" section on their web-site.

I am intrested to follow through on your deliema as I want to learn from this situation. Please DO continue to post as you work through this problem.

·
Combat Wombat
1,589 Posts
thedawg28 said:
Went out for the 1st ride on Thursday night and when your not pedaling it has a very loud and annoying squaling in the back brake.
Your post almost looks like you are saying your brakes make this noise even when not using them. I am going to assume though that like most brake issues, this is only happening when you actually apply them. I do have a couple questions....

- Did you perform any kind of break-in process before heading out to the trail?

- Do you know which brake pads you are using, metalic or organics?

- Is there any chance at all that you might have gotten chain lube on the rotor?

It is common that new pads require a break-in process. If you are running metalic pads, they will almost always make noise until they are bedded to your rotor. The Shimano organic pads are usually quite from the get go, but require a break-in to get any real power out of them. That is why I asked about possibly contamination from chain lube. And if by some chance you might have contaminated organic pads, you are probably better off to just replace them.

If none of this applies, I would ask the shop that you bought it from to take a look at it. Most places are usually pretty accomodating to customers that spend that kind of money for a bike.

Brake noise tends to drive most riders insane and is a common subject on this forum. On a good note, Shimano tends to be one of the less problematic brakes with noise. Let us know what you figure out.

Brian

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not sure what type of pads are on the bike. The LBS told me that the bike was ready for the trails so the answer to that question is no I did not do any break in procedures. IT only was doing it when I wasnt pedaling, as soon as I started pedaling again the squal went away. That being said.....This morning I took the rear wheel completely off the bike and put it back on making sure that the wheel was tight in place. Then I recentered the calipers. Went out for a 20 miler and had very minimal squal....got better the longer I rode it. I think it more than likely was a break in issue. What I thought was strange was that it only did it when I was coasting. Oh well I think its getting better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts