Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
GONE
27,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning my first ever ride in Big Sycamore Canyon possibly next week or soon after that. Been riding for 8 years now and I still have never done this ride! I know, I know, rediculous, huh?!

I have an old biking trail book and it recommends taking Big Sycamore Canyon trail to Wood Canyon trail to Guadalasco and then taking Overlook trail back to complete the loop.

Would this be a good loop or is there something better?

Has anyone been up there lately?

How are the trail conditions?

Thanks,
'hawg

·
GONE
27,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cyberdivachick said:
This is one of the most common areas to ride. The most popular route I would say is to take Sin Nombre to 2 Foxes to Guadalasca and down backbone. Overlook is all fire road and pretty boring.

Have Fun!
Thanks but I didn't see any of the named trails you mention in my trail book or on my trail map for the area. Would you please take me through your suggested ride, from the starting point to finish?

·
Registered
172 Posts
cyberdivachick said:
This is one of the most common areas to ride. The most popular route I would say is to take Sin Nombre to 2 Foxes to Guadalasca and down backbone. Overlook is all fire road and pretty boring.

Have Fun!
We do something very similar , a little loop before hopping on Sin Nombre and we go up Backbone and down Guadalasco and either retrace Two Foxes, Sin Nombre or up Ranch Center Road and redo our little loop of to the right. We're actually doing the ride in the morning (Monday).

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Why up Guadilaska?

I don't understand climbing guad and descending the overlook trail when it's so much more fun do go down guad. Everyone I know starts from PCH, Syc Cyn 1 Mi to overlook trail L for 6.5 mile mid ring climb, down Guadilaska for 2.5 Mi, L at the bottom to the ranch house, R up the pavement all the way to Sin Nombre, Continue strait at the end of SN until wood Cyn and take that right to the T where you turn L up Hell Hill .75 Mi back to the overlook Left for 100 yards or so and turn L and head down Wood Cyn overlook for 1.5+ Mi to Syc Cyn and turn right and head back to the car. 22+ miles and down all the singletrack. This is a great xc ride. Have fun.

·
GONE
27,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the invite il2mb, but I'll be working on Tuesday (for the last time this year). I may hit it on Weds but probably more likely on New years day or next weekend.

Thanks slowrider for the directions, sounds like a more fun ride for this one. Most appreciated!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I rode this morning , trail in great shape , views were amazing , clear as can be could see all the islands and even Mt.Baldy from the top of Guadalasco , we did not do Hell Hill , but talked to a guy who had and said that it was in good shape , Sin Nombre , Two Foxes , Backbone and Guadalasco all really nice , a few hikers but pretty open , saw one rather large coyote on Sin Nombre , quite healthy looked more like one of my Labs , quite thick for a wild animal. Have fun , if you go are you starting from PCH or Portero/Wendy? Anytime frame , we started at 9:00 from Wendy , temps were nice , we might go back on Weds. either hook up or see you in passing , I'll be on a Turner Flux and one buddy on Titus Motolite and maybe two others on Felt H/T and Cannondale Scalpel. Two of us are OLD so be nice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
'hawg

Have you decided on when you're going to ride , my buddies and I are starting at Wendy around 8:30AM tomorrow , not a fast pace , the legs have taken a beating , too old to ride everyday , but have done it anyways and now paying the price. There will be at least four of us on the bikes mentioned earlier.

·
GONE
27,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey flux,

I am going to get there tomorrow at around 9AM and I am planning on entering through Big Sycamore park. Maybe we'll cross paths?

I'm gonna do the up Overlook, down Backbone, up Wood canyon, up Hell Hill, down Guad, Wood Canyon to Paved road... to Sin Nombre, 2 Foxes and out....

I hope I don't get lost, LOL! I should be fine, everybody gave me excellent details on this ride. Thanks again, you'all.

I won't be climbing very fast. I expect that this ride is gonna work me over severly and it will be the longest ride for me so far but what the heck, you only live once??? Gotta ride, therefore gotta do this!

Hope to cross paths with you, I'll keep and eye out for you guys.

'hawg out

·
Registered
172 Posts
'hawg

So you'll be coming in off PCH , we'll be going at it from opposite directions , will you be solo and what will you be riding , one would think that we'll cross paths , but it's all about timing , we'll probably end up going up backbone and down guad. Hope to see you and if not enjoy , oh yeah be ready to climb , Hell Hill , Guad and the back side of Ranch Center Road. Just a pointer when you go down the pavement looking for Sin Nombre , it will be a right just before a little bridge and stay to the left once you get on it there's a fork near the start you want to stay straight/left , right will take you back up , that's part of our little loop and then we take Sin Nombre,Two Foxes.......If I could give better directions you could take that S/T to Sin Nombre instead of dropping all the way down the pavement , but I don't want to mess you up , but if I see you...... Have Fun Chuck

·
GONE
27,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey flux,

I just realized that entering from Wendy makes more sense since I am coming in from the S.F. Valley area.

If you get this, can you steer me in from the 101 North?

I will be riding a 2004 BLACK Specialized Stumpjumper full sus. with all fox sus.
I will be wearing a black jersey with short blue sleeves and blue socks.

'hawg (Mike)

·
Registered
172 Posts
'hawg

Take 101 North and exit Wendy Dr. , left at light ,over the freeway and continue straight, it's probably a couple of miles then it will stop at Portero Rd. that's where we park a dirt area ,you can not miss it. The first trail stars there and will lead you into the park , any questions try calling me 805-990-4605, Chuck
I drive a silver Chevy Silverado w/shell and I'll be wearing a grey/black jersey & grey Zen helmet and I'll probably be the shortest one there w/o training wheels , although sometimes I could use them.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
Thanks but I didn't see any of the named trails you mention in my trail book or on my trail map for the area. Would you please take me through your suggested ride, from the starting point to finish?
Sin Nombre and Two Foxes opened up in Early 2000.

I"m actually impressed that your book has Guadalasco in it. the first time I rode Sycamore Canyon, Guadalasco was closed. Not sure if it actually existed at the time but it was a no-no to ride! That must have been in 1990 or 1991.

YR

·
Registered
172 Posts
'hawg

Mike , I hope that our $.25 , 20 mile tour met your approval , it was nice meeting and riding with you , I think that you saw a lot of the park , we just didn't make it to the ocean overlook. Chuck

·
GONE
27,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome ride!

Yes it did, yes it did! Thanks again Chuck, that was really fun today. Looking forward to the next attack of the trails with you guys! I should be in a little better shape overall next time...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.