Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I need some help with base training. I was wondering how many day a week I can train (ride) if I am doing base miles. I am using a hrm and staying in the 60 to 70% zone. I am not in good enough shape to attempt a lactic threshold or other max test at this point in my conditioning. My resting hr is around 55 I am 38yo and using age method for max; my zone numbers are 130 to 140 btm roughly. My main question is how much rest is required during base training? Any other help will be greatly appreciated. Thx , Dan

·
Registered
770 Posts
buffallodan said:
Hello Everyone,
I need some help with base training. I was wondering how many day a week I can train (ride) if I am doing base miles. I am using a hrm and staying in the 60 to 70% zone. I am not in good enough shape to attempt a lactic threshold or other max test at this point in my conditioning. My resting hr is around 55 I am 38yo and using age method for max; my zone numbers are 130 to 140 btm roughly. My main question is how much rest is required during base training? Any other help will be greatly appreciated. Thx , Dan
It all depends on your level of current fitness. Rest can be rapid to some so it just depends. What are your goals(hours per year) and what is your current physical condition?

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
6 out of 7 should be no problem (since your intensity is low anyway). It's a good idea to take one day of rest (no training) each week, to ensure you don't overtrain. Also, maybe every fourth week (or so) should be lower volume too (shorter rides or less training days in the week), gives your body time to catch up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Progression for quick base acclimation?

My main goal is to get needed base miles in so that I can ride my mtb. I am doing the road for conditioning and at this point can ride about an hour at a steady pace. I want to be able to do some hills without blowing up and don't want to rush into overtraining like I have in the past. This time I am going to put in the required base miles and need to know a good progression to try. I have read 10% a week? What is the best progression to build base miles as quickly as possible and avoid overtraining? I am in generally good shape but my legs are a bit behind. I do construction for a living so I stay somewhat in shape I guess. Sry to be so vague but until I get a few more miles in I won't know how bad off I am... thx , Dan

·
Registered
770 Posts
buffallodan said:
My main goal is to get needed base miles in so that I can ride my mtb. I am doing the road for conditioning and at this point can ride about an hour at a steady pace. I want to be able to do some hills without blowing up and don't want to rush into overtraining like I have in the past. This time I am going to put in the required base miles and need to know a good progression to try. I have read 10% a week? What is the best progression to build base miles as quickly as possible and avoid overtraining? I am in generally good shape but my legs are a bit behind. I do construction for a living so I stay somewhat in shape I guess. Sry to be so vague but until I get a few more miles in I won't know how bad off I am... thx , Dan
If I were you I would try to get some longer hours in. Maybe try for a 2 to 2:30 minute ride once a week. This will benefit you the greatest. All in all I probably wouldn't suggest more than 7 hours a week right now. It seems low but if you maintain it it would be pretty significant. Actually that might even be on the high side. Probably 3 days off a week a 2 hour ride once a week, 2 1:30 rides, 1 1 hour ride. That would be a six hour week w/3 days of rest. Good place to start.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
buffallodan said:
My main goal is to get needed base miles in so that I can ride my mtb.
It helps me to do a long ride on Saturdays. I think of the shorter mid week stuff as helping get ready for the eventual rides with others on Saturday. Go for 1:30 on Saturday and then each week add 15 minutes until you build it to 2:30 or 3. Every 3rd week, take an easy week with less hours and cut back Saturday to 1:30 for that one week.

Once you have 10 or 12 weeks of base, you should add hills one day midweek, and start to add some intensity to a midweek ride, and/or add some intensity to the Saturday ride. Once you're good with that, add some major hills to one mid week ride and major intensity to one midweek ride.

It also helps to think about how you want to ride mid summer. I don't race, but I have a friend who can kick my butt - especially climbing. My training is geared towards a 4 hour Saturday ride with lots of climbing where he doesn't kick my butt this time. It helps me to think about this when I'm suffering. It's much easier to train when you have some kind of goal set.

Have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.