Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be building up a SC LT2 soon and would like some opinions about picking a fork to go with it. I'm thinking I would like something with adjustable travel around 150 to 130 range. I'm 6'0 tall, weigh about 175.lbs and am running a 650B up front. I'm not too concerned about weight, just want plush and reliable. Mostly looking for the most bang for my buck. Many thanks for your input. Here are few pics of the place I primarily ride. Merry Christmas!

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Maybe too tall

Jerk_Chicken said:
Find a 2008 Van 36. They are being blown out new and used right now. Look around.
JC, Purs is here in our area. He wants to run a 650B in the front of this new frame. I'm fairly certain that the BLT2 is going to be too tall in the front with a 36 and a 650B. This combo works well on a Nomad and other such bikes, but I'm thinking it will raise the BLT2 a little too much. Actually I'm thinking about the new Talas 150, but we don't know if it will fit a 650B like the other Fox forks. One downside is the price of the 150. It seems like the 150 and 650B would be a better balance to maintain a decent geometry. Otherwise the Pike seems like the most logical choice.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
To add to TNC's advise, I also have much experience using 650b front-only. And my experience is on a bike with nearly the same handling geometry as the BLT2, an Ibis Mojo. I spent about 1/2 year using 650b front-only on trails similar to yours, and since last summer have used 650b front and rear. With 650b front-only 140mm travel is really plenty as a maximum height.

The 1/2 inch taller front axle with 650b, plus added steering trail of the bigger wheel diameter, changes 650b front-only handling to feel like adding 20mm taller travel using a 26 inch front wheel, except the 650b rolls and grips in corners better.

On rocky step up and down rocky slower riding trails similar to yours pictured, and higher speed downhill, I used 140mm travel. On smoother mostly slower tight trails I'd lower to 130mm.

If you want a 160mm fork to possibly use on another bike later, then the Lyric U-turn would allow you to lower to more useful 130 - 140mm travel range for your 650b front set up. Another 130 -160mm infinite travel adjust fork and near 1 pound lighter, is the '07 Nixon Elite Air - if you can still find them (the current Nixons have fixed travel).

I found the very stiff Pike U-turn coil with it's infinite adjust was ideal for 650b front-only on a very similar handling bike to yours. The Pike U-turn also has an air version. Another very good coil fork option would be the '06 or '05 Nixon Elite 115 - 145mm (the '06 Nixon has better damping with TPC+).

IMO, experimenting with 650b on bikes designed for 26 inch wheels is best done with an infinite travel adjust fork. The Talas 140 would lower too much to the next step at 120mm except for long climbs, and the 150mm Talas would be too high in my opinion for 650b front-only wheel set up, except for scary steep and barely rideable downhills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.