Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I dont know much about mountain bikes technically, but I am keen to learn and technical stuff doesnt bother me.
I need some help adjusting my Shimano Front Derailleur.

The problem:

When I shift from a LOW front gear to a HIGH front gear, it fails to shift properly. It seems to get half way but the chain stays on the original gear and is very noisy. If I stop pedalling and hold the gear lever down, then slowly start peddaling, it eventually pops into the higher gear.
Going from a HIGH gear to a LOW gear works perfectly.

The equipment:

On the front gearset it says "Shimano IG chain only"
On the Brake levers on the handle bars it says "Shimano Deore LX"

I took a photo of the gear changing mechanism (excuse the sand lol), I see an Allen Bolt holding the wire, and two adjustable screws.

Which screw do I adjust? And which way? And how many turns?

[EDIT] Sorry for the huge photo's, didnt realise they were so massive. Hold the CTRL key down and move your mousewheel down to shrink the page/photos.

Front Gear

Bike Pic:

If you need more photo's, let me know.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Park Tools' site has complete setup and adjustment instructions for every thing on your bike...http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75.

The H and L screws in the photo adjust the limits of travel to keep you from shifting past the big (H) and small (L) chainrings. These should not need adjusted.

Try adjusting the cable tension with the barrel adjuster on the shifter (at the handle bars). Unscrew it 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time (keep track in case you need to go back to the starting point).

You will turn the barrel adjuster so that the top of it turns toward the back of the bike. This effectively lengthens the housing, providing additional tension.

You may also benefit from new cables and housings if they are old.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was actually reading that website before you posted :p

I'm guessing the cable length needs adjusting, and I need to adjust the Indexing adjustment and the end of the cable.

I can't see any adjustment near the gears/derailer, but the back of the lever on the handlebar appears to have an adjuster (looks like a water tap). I'll play around with that tomorrow while riding.

In the meantime, please provide any additional if possible.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Anarchi said:
I was actually reading that website before you posted :p

I'm guessing the cable length needs adjusting, and I need to adjust the Indexing adjustment and the end of the cable.

I can't see any adjustment near the gears/derailer, but the back of the lever on the handlebar appears to have an adjuster (looks like a water tap). I'll play around with that tomorrow while riding.

In the meantime, please provide any additional if possible.
That's the one. Unscrew it a little at a time to add tension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.