Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 29" Rockshox Reba RL Dual Air...
serial #25T10010341

I have had this fork for several years now and I just overhauled it. I thought it was a 2011 model. According to the 2011 service manual, it should get 123ml of 5wt fluid in the damper side. I measured it out and dumped it all in. When I put the damper in, fluid comes out of the top of the fork tube. It also locks up that side of the fork. No movement at all. So I tore it all a part again and went through the reassembly procedures again...same thing....

I turned to youtube. Sram has a video on there that shows 110ml of 5wt fluid for the Reba. I checked Srams service page and found a fork oil reference guide for the 2008 Reba. It shows 110ml of fork fluid.

So I figured I give it a try.....it worked....

So did I do something wrong, or is the manual wrong?

I haven't ridden it yet, but everything feels right. I just don't want to ruin my fork.

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think yours should be a 2010 or 2011... Give support a call with the serial number, they should be able to confirm for you - and maybe advise as to what's going on with the oil volume.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't think the damping oil volume is the problem, oil should come out when screwing the cap on. The idea is to slightly overfill the damper tube so that when you install the damper there will not be any air in the system. Sounds like the damper might be in the lockout mode. Confirm that you have everything installed correctly by comparing with the sram technical manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you're right. It's a 2010 model fork I bought in 2012. Any idea how I could go about getting a hold of CS at Rockshox? I have been unable to find a phone number or email.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the damper might be in the lockout mode. Confirm that you have everything installed correctly by comparing with the sram technical manual.
I thought that too. My fork has a remote lock out. It is spring loaded to be open (not locked) when the cable is not installed. I tried to turn the lock out knob and push the fork down and nothing happened.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
It's a 29" Rockshox Reba RL Dual Air...
serial #25T10010341

I have had this fork for several years now and I just overhauled it. I thought it was a 2011 model. According to the 2011 service manual, it should get 123ml of 5wt fluid in the damper side. I measured it out and dumped it all in. When I put the damper in, fluid comes out of the top of the fork tube. It also locks up that side of the fork. No movement at all. So I tore it all a part again and went through the reassembly procedures again...same thing....

I turned to youtube. Sram has a video on there that shows 110ml of 5wt fluid for the Reba. I checked Srams service page and found a fork oil reference guide for the 2008 Reba. It shows 110ml of fork fluid.

So I figured I give it a try.....it worked....

So did I do something wrong, or is the manual wrong?

I haven't ridden it yet, but everything feels right. I just don't want to ruin my fork.

Thanks in advance....
Does your fork have the sag printed on the stanchions?

I did the same thing last week servicing my wife's fork....thought it was a 2011, so put in 123mL per RS website, but then fluid would leak out before I could even get the damper all the way in. Turns out her fork was a 2012.

my wife's 2012 RLT only requires 106mL of 5wt.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
I think yours should be a 2010 or 2011... Give support a call with the serial number, they should be able to confirm for you - and maybe advise as to what's going on with the oil volume.

IT would not be a 2010.....they were labeled Race/SL/Team until 2011, when they made the change to RL/RLT/RLT Ti.

·
Class Clown
3,047 Posts
They can be a little touche and 10ml ain't much and could be hiding somewhere I fill to around where it should be then add a few ml at a time until I have the correct amount.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You do NOT fill the damper side with oil to keep air out of it. That's completely wrong.

The serial number indicates that your fork is a 2011 fork. It's the first digit of the serial after the letter that indicates the last digit of the year FYI.

And you don't contact RockShox/SRAM customer service. You go to your local shop and they do it. SRAM does not do customer-direct service. It's all through dealers.

You need to go to the service site and look up the oil volumes. When in doubt, match up the decals on your fork with the logo on the front page of the .pdf service manual. You can also look up the oil volumes for all forks directly by searching 'RockShox oil volumes' on internetz.

For cartridge dampers you need to make sure there is no air in the system but all of the Reba/SID/Revelation/Totem/Lyrik/etc dampers are cavitation-based, so there is air in the system. It's designed that way.

There is a ton of info on the SRAM site about servicing your fork. Please just go there and don't blindly crack those suckers open. They are very easy to work on if you can follow directions.

mk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks mtnbikej! I'll have to take it back apart tonight and redo it. It has 110ml in it now. I figured it was either 110 or 106...if given a 50/50 shot of getting it right, I'll get it wrong everytime.

Trailbildr.... My verbage may be wrong, but fluid was added per the instructions in the manual. I have spend countless hours on srams service page trying to figure out exactly what volume I needed to add to the fork. There is not a manual that has the exact picture of my fork on it. As far as internals go, the 2013 Reba manual is exactly the same except mine is dual air. Everything else is identical. I stopped by my lbs and asked them about it and they said that they don't even service forks anymore because of the same problems I'm having. The inability to find the proper information about volumes, what parts are needed, etc.. There are so many variations of the same fork it's hard to figure out which is which. I can assure you that I'm plenty mechanically inclined to rebuild a fork. To be honest, I thought it would be harder than it was. Had I not had the problems with fluid it would have taken less than two hours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts