Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little bit of help.

I bought a Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc. Nice bike but it came with some cheaper components, or rather some components that weren't made for a guy bigger than 180lbs.

The fork is shot.... I am a 275lbs guy (yeah yeah, keep the wise cracks out) and I need a heavy duty fork to replace the old one. I am not the best when it comes to shopping for replacement parts because there is just so much out there!

Does anyone have any suggestions (preferably parts)? I am looking to stay under $200.

I am a casual rider that loves the more extreme "can I live through this?" type of stuff but I seem to be stuck more into following the other guys through the easier stuff.

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Good luck. You're going to end up finding used RST's and Marzocchi coil forks for that price, but unfortunetly you don't know what you're buying with a used fork. Even worse if you need to buy a new stiffer spring for your weight, which i highly assume will happen. My sugg? Get it warrantied through rst, we did, and they sent us a new one, no cost. Then start saving for a better quality marzochi or fox vanilla fork, or even an x fusion. more bang for buck. but if you buy cheap again, no doubt, it will happen again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have to agree with Stumpy Steve! Get the fork warranteed and see if you can beef that fork up!
And keep exercising to lose more weight. Thats going to be your cheapest bet in my opinion. And better for your health too.:thumbsup:
As you lose the weight, alot of those parts will work and you will fit back into them. I was almost 250 when I started. I am 6'3 and now am in the 230's. My goal is 205 pounds.
You can do it:thumbsup: . I ride 3 times a week, 7 miles a pop. I love it!
Let us know how it works out for you and have some grit man:madmax: , push yourself!:madmax:
Go for it!:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.