Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion on where to get a 2012 Superfly Rocker link (or 2010-2012 HiFi or Rumblefish). I have a link that gave way around the bearing due to a manufacturing defect (void in the flow molded carbon) and Trek is not able to provide a replacement. Best they could do was 20% off a new frame, but still at near 3 grand for a new carbon replacement I cannot afford that. Plus the frame has lots of life left aside from the link.

I have called around to many shops, even tried a big one out of the country, no one has a replacement in stock, and its not made anymore. It stinks since up till recently they were available for under a hundred dollars in carbon with the bearings pressed in.

Anyone happen to know someone with a broken frame willing to part with a rocker in good shape for a reasonable price? Or better yet, know a shop that has a new replacement on hand?

Thanks!
-Ryan

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Thanks, but it says not available when you get to the bike 24 website
That sucks, man. My 23-pound 2012 Superfly 100 Pro had a similar issue: ovalized bottom bracket inner shell. After being unable to locate another front triangle in size small - I tapped the Credit Card and got a 2015 Pivot Mach 429SL, swapping all my XX1 parts over.

All I can say is.... The Pivot is simply light years ahead. Sayonara, Trek:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
There is a 2010 Superfly 100 on eBay right now. Starting bid is $200. But, I’m sure you could flip the front triangle and stays to get all your money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, will keep an eye on that, trying to keep the cost down.

CP, what in your opinion made the 429sl so much better? head angle, shorter stays, stiffer frame? I already have a 29lb 130mm trail bike, I'm just looking for an efficient XC rocket with 110 rear 120 front travel for 26 miles of twisty singletrack (2k miles elevation gain) and the superfly 100 "originally" fit the budget.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Thanks, will keep an eye on that, trying to keep the cost down.

CP, what in your opinion made the 429sl so much better? head angle, shorter stays, stiffer frame? I already have a 29lb 130mm trail bike, I'm just looking for an efficient XC rocket with 110 rear 120 front travel for 26 miles of twisty singletrack (2k miles elevation gain) and the superfly 100 "originally" fit the budget.
Shorter stays, and far stiffer frame. Plus, the DW-Link produces zero pedal kickback, which was something that bucked me off the Superfly often. I'm running a 120/150mm Pike, so I can huck the 24-pound Pivot at the bike park too. In 150mm mode - it has a bomber, 69-degree head angle... and no pedal strikes too. It just wins, on so many levels. It was gonna be a new Top Fuel, or Ibis Ripley and the Pivot was a hands-down winner. Pivot support is among the BEST in the cycling industry. I need any part.... Pivot sends it to my door, in days. Many times, the small parts cost me nothing. Best of all - they have tons of spares, in existence. If not, they are well-connected to any dealer that carries their name.

I know it's sacrilege.... but here is the bike that stole my loyalties:
canis1.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very nice bike CP! The 429SL would be on my short list if I had the money. I thought the head angle at 120mm was 69 degrees, probabaly a bit slacker at 150mm. I like that it still has a "slack" seat angle. This new trend of steep seat angles really hurts my knees when hammering through switchbacks in the saddle which is one reason I am trying to revive the SF100. I am only 6ft but tend to buy an XL frame, put a fork with 30mm of extra axle to crown than normal, put on a setback seatpost and slide the saddle on the rails to get to a comfortable position -- which also ends up as K.O.P. for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your post makes me very worried about my sons rumblefish and my superfly that the frames could be worthless if that small part breaks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your post makes me very worried about my sons rumblefish and my superfly that the frames could be worthless if that small part breaks.
At least the Rumblefish has a more robust metal link instead of the 44 gram carbon one. I don't think that many of them break, mine just seemed like a manufacturing defect where the carbon was not fully saturated with epoxy in a very vulnerable area around the top bearing where it was really thin.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! my buddy ordered one for me and i just got it from him, I feel very lucky after trying all over the US and Europe without luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought one as a spare, they sold out quick. Be careful with your pivot bolts, I could only find them in the UK, trek stopped making them too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought one as a spare, they sold out quick. Be careful with your pivot bolts, I could only find them in the UK, trek stopped making them too.
jmpowie, where did you get the pivot bolt from? My lower needs to be replaced on my 2012 Superfly 100 AL Elite before I can ride again. Trying to track down PN.

Also, if ever parting with that rocker link let me know. Missed auction and mine showing wear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts