Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2010 Rockhopper Expert and wold like to turn it to a 1x9.
I like the simplicity of the 1x9, im just not 100% sure as to what i need.

Im guessing obviously my rear derauiller and rear cassette will stay untouched.
My front derauiller and shifter would be gone.

Im just not sure which crank and BB i would need, and i'll probably throw a bashguard on. im just not sure of the exact parts i need.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

·
bikeaholic
714 Posts
You shouldn't need new cranks or a BB. If you remove the drive side crank, you can probably take the big/little rings off and leave the middle ring. I would suggest getting something like this to keep the chain from coming off:

http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx.html

That should mount in between your BB and the frame. You should have enough room if you take out the middle ring.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i never thought of just taking out granny and big ring.

so if i go that route, which should work well with the teeth count considering my riding, i can still remove the front der, slap on a guide and bashguard and be good to roll right??

·
Registered
693 Posts
jeeper006 said:
i never thought of just taking out granny and big ring.

so if i go that route, which should work well with the teeth count considering my riding, i can still remove the front der, slap on a guide and bashguard and be good to roll right??
I am using the 32T ring that came with the cranks and it works well for me,but I may try a 34T ring next year to see what happens.Yes that would be all you needed to be good to roll.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I went with a strait cut 34 sprocket! Smallest I could fit. "No ramp"
A Pauls-chain keeper, Then offed a couple chain links to snug it up. Been trouble free.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome, think i'll hook it up tonight, im assuming i'll need the inner guide obviously because the FD will no longer be there.

i saw a pic of a guy that used a seat clamp as his guide, looked pretty neat.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i hit a little problem, i got the big ring off, which loosened the second ring, however i see im going to have to take the crank arm off in order to remove the granny ring, but i cant get the crank arm off, i have undone the 2 8mm bolts that hold the arms on and i can see straight thru the BB but i cant get the arms to come out so i can take the granny ring off.

any help PLEASE.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oceans, how did you get your crank off? I undid both crankarm bolts but my crank arms dont budge

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gotcha, i was hoping to not have to buy the tool to remove my crank one time, but i guess if i wanna run 1x9 i may have to.

·
bikeaholic
714 Posts
jeeper006 said:
gotcha, i was hoping to not have to buy the tool to remove my crank one time, but i guess if i wanna run 1x9 i may have to.
Just go out and get a Park CCP-4 crank removal tool. It's only like 15-20 bucks depending on the shop. You should remove and clean/grease the inside of the crank arms and the outside of the BB spindle once in a while depending on how much you ride and the conditions.

Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts