Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched a bunch, read the Sultan setup thread, etc trying to get a feel for what size 08' Sultan will fit best - large or XL

I was wondering if I can give you some of my current bike specs to see how these compare to current 08' Sultan riders bikes.

I am 6' tall with 35.5" true inseam

1.) Center of bottom bracket to top of seat along seat tube - 795mm (using 175mm cranks)

2.) seat tip to bar grip (where hand wraps the bar between the thumb and index finger) - 607mm (this is a 660mm wide bar)

I would most likely be running a 100mm fork and trying to keep the bars and saddle even.

My concern is that a 19" frame - large with a 24.5 top tube will have a lot of seatpost exposed and that the short headtube will require a lot of spacers along with a long stem (I would like to go no longer than 120 - prefer 100/110mm)

On the other hand the 21" frame I feel will get me too stretched out with a stubby stem.

Current Bikes:

21" Titus Moto-Lite (26" wheels) with 24.25 effective top tube, 5.5" headtube, running a setback thomson post, 110 x 10 deg stem with 1 - 10mm spacer, 1.5" riser bar 660 wide

21" Specialized SJ29r with 25.4" effective top tube, 5.5" headtube, 105 x 10 deg stem with 1 - 5mm spacer, flat bar 640mm wide with 11 degree bend. This setup I feel is a little too stretched out for trail riding with the seat tip bar grip of 615mm.

Thanks for any help
Ed

·
Registered
997 Posts
i am 6'2" with 35" inseam and decided to go forward with the large '08 frame.

besides the sultan i am riding a large SF with 24,5" eff TT and it fits perfectly with a 110mm stem and 9° handlebars. I will be running the Sultan with a 120mm fork what slackens the geometry somehow, therefore i prefered the smaller frame with shorter wheelbase in order not to sacrify the handling.

also i am riding mostly technical, lots of short but very steep climbs, pretty twisted singletrails - another reason to go for the shorter wheelbase and smaller frame.

though, when looking at the little shorter '09 geometry that is set up for the 120mm forks i would likely go with the XL.

hope that helps. sizing depends not only on your personal "size" but as well very much on the riding preferences and how you set up the bike (fork A-C, rake, seat back, stem etc.). i find it interesting that turner tends to recommend larger frames whereas others like niner or intense recommend a smaller frame for the same height rider (e.g. L with niner has 24,5" TT and recommendation is 6' - 6'4", L with Turner with the same TT is recommended for 5'11"-6'1" - geometries of a RIP and a Sultan are not that different).

Sounds like there seem to be very different philosophies, excellent to confuse the interested buyer! The good new is that it seems to be difficult to go wrong all the way - the set up of the bike and riding habits will help to finally make most riders happy...

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
XL. Screw all the talk about fit, etc., you'd look like a clown on an L!

Seriously, I'm 6'2" with shorty legs at 33", and love the XL.

If the boys at Turner EVER GET BACK FROM VACATION (;) , they'd be glad to offer more sizing insight. Call them Tuesday.

·
Registered
997 Posts
kosmo said:
XL. Screw all the talk about fit, etc., you'd look like a clown on an L!

Seriously, I'm 6'2" with shorty legs at 33", and love the XL.
with these short legs you have a longer upper part and need a longer TT. i suggest you let your legs grow a little and than re-join this discussion ...:D

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
I have the exact inseam, but am a bit taller. If you really like a 24.5" TT then I'd be careful with the XL, unless you can get away with a really short stem. The Sultan handles great with a 70mm sttem, BTW.

I think that a too long top tube is a far greater problem than too much seatpost. It was a deal breaker for me on the Sultan. (no matter, I ride an RFX instead)

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
I prefer a

eman2 said:
I have searched a bunch, read the Sultan setup thread, etc trying to get a feel for what size 08' Sultan will fit best - large or XL

I was wondering if I can give you some of my current bike specs to see how these compare to current 08' Sultan riders bikes.

I am 6' tall with 35.5" true inseam

1.) Center of bottom bracket to top of seat along seat tube - 795mm (using 175mm cranks)

2.) seat tip to bar grip (where hand wraps the bar between the thumb and index finger) - 607mm (this is a 660mm wide bar)

I would most likely be running a 100mm fork and trying to keep the bars and saddle even.

My concern is that a 19" frame - large with a 24.5 top tube will have a lot of seatpost exposed and that the short headtube will require a lot of spacers along with a long stem (I would like to go no longer than 120 - prefer 100/110mm)

On the other hand the 21" frame I feel will get me too stretched out with a stubby stem.

Current Bikes:

21" Titus Moto-Lite (26" wheels) with 24.25 effective top tube, 5.5" headtube, running a setback thomson post, 110 x 10 deg stem with 1 - 10mm spacer, 1.5" riser bar 660 wide

21" Specialized SJ29r with 25.4" effective top tube, 5.5" headtube, 105 x 10 deg stem with 1 - 5mm spacer, flat bar 640mm wide with 11 degree bend. This setup I feel is a little too stretched out for trail riding with the seat tip bar grip of 615mm.

Thanks for any help
Ed
a longer top tube, using a standard set back post and a short stem. That said if you mimic'd the SJs config and used a shorter stem, it sounds like it could work well. But then again im 5'8.5"s tall riding a medium but i think i understand where your coming from.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
I'm 6'3" with the same inseam as you, and I've owned both an 07 L and 08 XL. All my previous bikes had a 24.5" ETT so that's what led me to the L. I could have happily rode many years on the L - but the move to the XL offered me a bit better fit and room for more adjustments (my saddle height has gone up this past year as I worked hard on flexibility).

Because of my size - the XL is better. The head tube on the XL is longer and the ETT is .75" longer (IIRC 25.25 vs. the 24.5 on the L). .75" is roughly 19mm - so you won't be as stretched as you think. When I swapped frames, I went from a 110x10 stem to 90x0 - that's it. Everything else carried over.

Large

XL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.