Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a personal choice, and riding style plays alot into this. But what is everyone riding on right now.

Currently Im on Fat Alberts front and rear specific by Schwalbe. Not a big fan of these on wet rocks but alot of grip when dry.

Thanks

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
A good recent thread, but just to restate. Continental Mountain Kings are a great winter tire. Agressive tread, and wide pattern to shed mud. Hooked up well at Annadel, but when it comes to slippery rocks. Not sure I have found the best tire, just one that works well.

Other tires (since you are rocking Schwalbes price point should not be an issue)

Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.35s or smaller casing
WTB Stouts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, was out their today and my was really surprised how bad the fat alberts were. Mountain king 2.4 are on my short list, I loved the race king 2.2 all summer and fall their this year.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You know, I thought my Minions were great out there until last night and some uphill techie on Cobblestone. I never had them pack and fill up like last night yet.

IMHO, there are good and bad tires out there, but sometimes there is no tire that will take the oohey-gooey goodness of the season. Sometimes, you just gotta slip and slide.

·
The Green Machine
149 Posts
I just swapped out my front Weirwolf. While it was great in softer, damp dirt, I didn't really like it at all on anything w/ loose over hard and it packed with mud fairly quickly. It's a great tire if your in the right conditions, but when it isn't right, the tire always squirms as you start turning in before it gets some bite. Never got used to it, never like that feeling. I had it on for a year.

I was out at the park today using WTB Motoraptor's 2.4 front and rear. They hook up fine for me but they are a little slippery on wet rock. In the mud they are better than average, I had no problems today but Annadel doesn't have really sticky gooey mud, and if that was the case I think the Moto's would have a hard time sheading. But they are a good all around tire. I have the rear tire reversed.

If it's muddy enough, it doesn't matter what tire you have, your gonna slide around a bit. The most important thing is how they clear themselves.

By JKwan_81

By JKwan_81

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Alot of tire banter......

littleblue said:
You can see the Moto's shed pretty well in that type of mud.
....goes on in here. I don't know if my theory is relative or not. I just run tires with a little bigger lug on them in the winter then I do in the summer. ;)

What year is that SJ of yours? Don't think I've seen that color before.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I think the recent mud has magical sticky properties. My Eskars, which are normally fine in mud, packed in so much on Live Oak that the back wheel got stuck against the frame...

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Wtb...

KenDobson said:
I know this is a personal choice, and riding style plays alot into this. But what is everyone riding on right now.

Currently Im on Fat Alberts front and rear specific by Schwalbe. Not a big fan of these on wet rocks but alot of grip when dry.

Thanks
... Motoraptors 29er, steel bead. Heavy as fock, roll like crap on hardpack, but they doooo stick! And hey, they were free!

·
The Green Machine
149 Posts
JMac47 said:
....goes on in here. I don't know if my theory is relative or not. I just run tires with a little bigger lug on them in the winter then I do in the summer. ;)

What year is that SJ of yours? Don't think I've seen that color before.
It's an '06. I think it was a test bike color, but nobody rode mine :D I just got it a year ago and love it as well as the color. Like Kawasaki green.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was there today (for the first time - I can't wait to get back!) with Hutchinson Toros, front and rear. The grip was great in the dirt/mud, and they seemed to shed well, but I had two decent spills because of slippage on the rocks. I don't know if there IS a tire that will grip well on rock while covered in slime, but if someone figures one out, please let me know.

·
The Green Machine
149 Posts
PlasticBike said:
I was there today (for the first time - I can't wait to get back!) with Hutchinson Toros, front and rear. The grip was great in the dirt/mud, and they seemed to shed well, but I had two decent spills because of slippage on the rocks. I don't know if there IS a tire that will grip well on rock while covered in slime, but if someone figures one out, please let me know.
Annadel has that effect! I saw your post and the route you went on, while just about all the trails there are great, you missed out on two of my favorite downhills. S. Burma is great downhill, and Lawndale is THE BEST downhill of the park. It's about 6miles worth! Be sure to check it out next time your out there.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
KenDobson said:

Thanks
Grip is over rated. I prefer dirt surfing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.