Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys new to mountain biking. going from a cannondale super six rd bike to????? i have a few bikes i am considering but just want input from guys with experience. here they are. all will be the lowest priced carbon model or highest priced alum model for each bike and 27.5 thanks for the help guys!
specialized enduro
cannondale jekyll
lapierre spicy
gt force
transition covert
intense carbine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol!! Riding style?? I'm a newbie. So don't really have a style but I used to bmx dirt back when I was in my teens so looking to get into some aggressive trail rides. I Go out west for work quite a bit. Want to hit some trails while I'm out there!! Cali, wash, and colorado. I'm in Florida so not too many hills here but some good trails. I want something more aggressive. That's why I listed those bikes. 6-7000 budget. All those bikes are pretty comparable to me in price but just not sure about pivot points bearings, bushings frame tech and design.

·
beater
6,186 Posts
All those bikes are pretty comparable to me in price but just not sure about pivot points bearings, bushings frame tech and design.
Honestly, don't worry too much about it. People can and do argue endlessly over the nuances, but your budget allows you to buy a pretty sweet bike, and whatever you pick, you'll probably like. Just buy the one that looks the hottest to you, and will get you most stoked to ride. You'll figure out the little ins and outs and what your own preferences are down the road - it's nearly impossible to do that with your first FS bike purchase. All you know at that point is what other people like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys I know most of the suggestions I would be given would be rider opinions about which brand of bike. I'm just not sure about transition and intense because personally I haven't heard much about them. The other brands I listed of course are major brands that everyone knows about and have been around for years. But I wouldn't mind showing up on the trail with something different!! Evasive u are honestly right to me. No matter what bike I get I will like it since not coming from a mtb background and not having rode too many different bikes. I would still like some honest opinions about which bike in the lineup seems best for the buck!! Depending on components and setup.. thanks guys.

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Turbotaco,

So, I'm in the same boat. I live in FL but wanted a bike to ride both here and out west since I might be moving to utah next year.

I did tons of evaluation of different bikes and brands.....and spoke to some folks out west about what works well for them. (On a side note, they gave me the fact that major brands (trek, Spec) are usually purchased by those new to the sport, and that vets tend to go with the smaller more dedicated companies like Pivot, Santa Cruz, Intense, etc.

I wanted an aggressive bike with longer travel, but if you go with too much travel (like the nomad) your gonna loose pedal efficiency and will probably not be riding the best bike for here in FL.

I evaluated Trek Remedy and Slash, some Spec models, Kona process, deevinci Troy, Santa Cruz models, lots of stuff.

After all that I decided 140mm travel was the perfect happy medium between what we need here in FL and what they need out west.

I looked around for Frame geometry that would allow me to have that travel but still have pedaling efficiency.....and the VPP geometry seemed to be the most adept at creating a solid bounce less ride on a longer travel bike.

With that. And after tons of analysis I ended up going with the Santa Cruz Bronson (pushing my travel to 150mm, but having the VPP suspension to compensate). The folks out west said the Bronson is a solid, respected and capable platform that could do most everything the west has to offer.

That is what I would recommend. The carbon starts at around 4100.

For your budget you could have the carbon frame, fox Talas fork, fox CTDK shock, and a killer XO-1 component package. That would be a pretty damn amazing bike and I think you would destroy on both coasts.

Go to the Santa Cruz site and check out the bike boulder to see the package and spec details.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Turbotaco,

So, I'm in the same boat. I live in FL but wanted a bike to ride both here and out west since I might be moving to utah next year.

I did tons of evaluation of different bikes and brands.....and spoke to some folks out west about what works well for them. (On a side note, they gave me the fact that major brands (trek, Spec) are usually purchased by those new to the sport, and that vets tend to go with the smaller more dedicated companies like Pivot, Santa Cruz, Intense, etc.

I wanted an aggressive bike with longer travel, but if you go with too much travel (like the nomad) your gonna loose pedal efficiency and will probably not be riding the best bike for here in FL.

I evaluated Trek Remedy and Slash, some Spec models, Kona process, deevinci Troy, Santa Cruz models, lots of stuff.

After all that I decided 140mm travel was the perfect happy medium between what we need here in FL and what they need out west.

I looked around for Frame geometry that would allow me to have that travel but still have pedaling efficiency.....and the VPP geometry seemed to be the most adept at creating a solid bounce less ride on a longer travel bike.

With that. And after tons of analysis I ended up going with the Santa Cruz Bronson (pushing my travel to 150mm, but having the VPP suspension to compensate). The folks out west said the Bronson is a solid, respected and capable platform that could do most everything the west has to offer.

That is what I would recommend. The carbon starts at around 4100.

For your budget you could have the carbon frame, fox Talas fork, fox CTDK shock, and a killer XO-1 component package. That would be a pretty damn amazing bike and I think you would destroy on both coasts.

Go to the Santa Cruz site and check out the bike boulder to see the package and spec details.
You are gonna love Utah on that bike. I ride a Tallboy LTc and really like it. Gooseberry, Slickrock, Porcupine, The Crest, all within 4 hours.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.