Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ordering a new free today and it appears that I am sort of between spring rates for the DHX 5.0 beased on my 190 weight.

180 pounds = 400# spring
200 pounds = 450# spring

Since the bike will be for DH/shuttling 99% of the time I am thinking of running the 400# because I think the 450# would be too firm
Another reason I am leaning towards the 400# is that if you weigh 220 pounds, you would still use the 450#.

Am I on target here?

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
freeriderB said:
ordering a new free today and it appears that I am sort of between spring rates for the DHX 5.0 beased on my 190 weight.

180 pounds = 400# spring
200 pounds = 450# spring

Since the bike will be for DH/shuttling 99% of the time I am thinking of running the 400# because I think the 450# would be too firm
Another reason I am leaning towards the 400# is that if you weigh 220 pounds, you would still use the 450#.

Am I on target here?
I'm 170 w/o gear. I started w/400, went to 500, & I'm waitin' on a 550 due here next wed.
DHX's, for me are a lil' too squishy. A friend of mine, also rides a VP Free, started w/500, went to a 600 & now hes runnin' a 550. Same weight as me & all he does is drops/jumps. I'm thinking, if I were you, I'd start w/a 500 to 550 spring. Gettin' the right from spring from Fox is like pullin' teeth. They'll take your order, bill yer card & then it'll take a week or two to even get into the shippin' system they have. If delivered on time, mine will have taken 3 weeks to get here after I ordered it. My LBS spec'd a 500 spring when I bought my bike, it came w/a 400.
Good luck & keep us posted on yer new ride.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spring weight

man w/ one hand said:
I'm 170 w/o gear. I started w/400, went to 500, & I'm waitin' on a 550 due here next wed.
DHX's, for me are a lil' too squishy. A friend of mine, also rides a VP Free, started w/500, went to a 600 & now hes runnin' a 550. Same weight as me & all he does is drops/jumps. I'm thinking, if I were you, I'd start w/a 500 to 550 spring. Gettin' the right from spring from Fox is like pullin' teeth. They'll take your order, bill yer card & then it'll take a week or two to even get into the shippin' system they have. If delivered on time, mine will have taken 3 weeks to get here after I ordered it. My LBS spec'd a 500 spring when I bought my bike, it came w/a 400.
Good luck & keep us posted on yer new ride.
thanks for the info...I read some posts using the search function and it appears the general concensus is....SC web site may not be completely accurate.

My LBS is going to discuss the spring weight with SC today. I think I may start with a 500 # and then purchase a 550# so I can compare the two.

I have ordered coils for my DHX (on my Gemini) from Fox and have never had a problem.
I wonder if it is because it's a "more common" i2i??

Oh well...I have another 4 months before the DH season starts.....so plenty of time to fine tune.

I just hope SC has my frame in stock.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I weigh the same as you and I found the 400 a little light, but the 450 is great in terms of proper sag, use of full travel but no bottoming out etc. Bike pedals fine. I like this for DH especially since it lowers the BB and slackens the bike...just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
According to a spring calculator site that I use, (170 lb. rider/2.75" stroke/8.46" travel)
28% sag (freeride) = 450 lb. spring
35% sag (downhill) = 424 lb. spring

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.