Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to return my xx1 crankset for a warranty claim, but they want the serial number first.

I've looked EVERYWHERE on these damn cranks and cannot find anything resembling a serial number!

Can anyone tell me, better yet show me where the serial number(s) is?

The guy at Colorado Cyclist insists it's printed in yellow on the inside of the drive-side crank arm, about an inch above the pedal mount thread. I've gone over both crank arms with a flashlight and magnifying glass. Can't find anything.

Which causes me to wonder... Could they be counterfeit? I've read that this has been happening with other retailers recently. They actually sell counterfeit components without even knowing it apparently. Could be why they failed prematurely.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Colorado cyclist usually has a pretty good return policy, it seems like they would take them back and deal with the warranty.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've got to return my xx1 crankset for a warranty claim, but they want the serial number first.

I've looked EVERYWHERE on these damn cranks and cannot find anything resembling a serial number!

Can anyone tell me, better yet show me where the serial number(s) is?

The guy at Colorado Cyclist insists it's printed in yellow on the inside of the drive-side crank arm, about an inch above the pedal mount thread. I've gone over both crank arms with a flashlight and magnifying glass. Can't find anything.

Which causes me to wonder... Could they be counterfeit? I've read that this has been happening with other retailers recently. They actually sell counterfeit components without even knowing it apparently. Could be why they failed prematurely.
More like 1/8" but close enough. They should be noticeable, this is on the inside of the D/S. I guess its possible that it may have been wiped off if a heavy duty solvent was used to clean things up but I've had crank ends on mine since august so who knows.

XX1.jpg

·
since 4/10/2009
31,431 Posts
yes, counterfeit products are a real thing and a big problem pretty much everywhere. I received a counterfeit "Rolex" watch several years ago as a gift from an idiot that thought they bought the real thing. I knew better and got the verification I needed.

Pretty sure I also have some counterfeit BB7's. Or at least counterfeit rotors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts